Atkins Diet

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by HappyAZaClaM, Sep 29, 2008.

1. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

I was just curious if anyone has tried that or what anybody
    may think of it. thanks.

2. Robin

Robin Guest

I don't have the will power to diet butheard the trick to the atkins diet is people eating mostly meat tend to eat less overall, hence you lose weight.

3. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

yeah? hmmm...no will power ay...lot of that going around. someone needs
    to invent a vaccine.

so, high protein makes one eat less, allegedly right? the will power
    with this diet then would be to not eat goodies? that's the hard part
    of any diet.

damn! :blink:

I need to lose about 30 pounds, but if I go without eating or don't
    eat enough, I get really irritable. sometimes depressed. so.......
    ??? dunno. no magic answer on this one. thanks Robin!

4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

i tried a similar version of it called the south beach diet and it wasn't for me personally. You had to lay off of starches. So I couldn't have my potatoes. You couldn't have pasta, rices, breads, etc. for like two weeks and I hated it b/c its all the stuff I love. I'm on Weight watchers and it's great thus far. I reccommend that more.

5. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

yes? weight watchers? I'll check that out. it's hard though, I can tell
    already. I think...isn't there like measuring portions and stuff like that?

nothing wrong with that at all. if I can manage it :)

6. ~PinkElephants~

Basically it's a point system. Certain things are 0 points but like if you go to mcdonalds and get a burger it can be like 9 points. You weigh yourself and based on your weight they give you an alotted amoutn of points you can use aday. If you exercise you get points added on to those points you already have.

So say for breakfast I had a low fat english muffin with spray butter. That's usually 2 points. So if I start off with 26 points I subtract 2 points off that and I have 24 the rest of the day. For lunch I have a turkey sandwich with a pickle, that could be 4 points...you take that off the 24 you have 20 points for rest of day.

You do have to measure things though and weigh things. Like 1 cup of strawberries is 2 points. You have to measure precisely 1 cup or it defeats the purpose of counting points. It works though and it's worth it. Only thing I don't do is go to meetings b/c no offense i dont want to sit there and talk about how im fat.

7. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

I doubt you are 'fat' but it's good for all of us to keep off any extra LBs
    specially us 52 year old male units :)
    well, anybody in their 50's...it's that sort of sink or swim time. like,
    set the pattern for your impending 60's etc...

I don't wanna be a fat old tired slob. I quit drinking. quit all drugs, mostly
    coke was all i was ever into, but way into, quite that like 12 years ago
    cold turkey, never looked back. lucky one there.

I never imagined eating would be a problem. like with weight watchers,
    I bet the portions are like modest. spaghetti for example (well, I like
    angel hair, cappelini) I would likely eat 10 weight watcher servings
    NOW. maybe seeing what the portions are supposed to be, I'd see the
    light or something.

like I said to Robin, if I don't eat enough, I get disoriented, a
    headache, really irritable, foggy etc..

so if I went on a legit diet and felt like I was starving, I'd prolly have to
    go to a nutritionist and say wtf??

8. ~PinkElephants~

Congrats on quitting coke cold turkey first and foremost. That is a major major accomplishment!!! Kudos Clammycake!!

As far as the feeling hungry at times you do but basically with weight watchers you can eat what you want, when you want but it's all portioned. You can eat certain things all day. Like carrots are 0 points. There are certain food products, snacks etc. that are either 0 or 1 point so it's good. They have books with all the points in them.

Nutritionist could be good b/c they can set a diet plan to your weight, age, height and allt hat jazz. Good luck!!

9. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

was a long time ago. thanks. easy for me. no good reason why. I was just
    sick to death of the shit and the lifestyle and the people ya hang around
    with yada yada yada etc etc..said "screw it"

stuff I wanna quite, but don't "really wanna" quit like ciggies, triple
    whppers with cheese :)

harder. much harder. not drinking was hard. quitting coke was like a
    wake-up call from a brain cell or something.."knock knock, I hate
    this shit. pass it on" before that I was doing the shit since I was like 19.
    so, it was a good time to say, "well, it's been real and everything BUT.."

10. ~PinkElephants~

I WANT YOUR WEATHER. Rhode Island is chilly willy.GIMME GIMME GIMME

NOW!!!!!!

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, my take on it is that carbohydrates are a crucial part of any diet, BUT meat does make you feel fuller. My solution is to eat more meat and get more exercise... I think that increasing exercise is easier and healthier than cutting calories.

12. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

that's a roger. excercise comin up................

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  13. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Exercise is definitely the most important part of any diet. The problem with the atkins diet (or any other high protein diet), is that your body will go into ketosis mode and start producing harmful ketones (like nail polish remover etc.). That's why you should never stop eating carbs completely, just reduce your carb intake. Proteins aren't a good energy source either. I've never been on any diet though. I'm 5'8" and i weigh 155 lbs. I just eat healthy, drink lots of water and exercise. :)

14. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

been kickin this'un around some. I aont supposed ta be here by the
    way. I drank a boatload of vodkee but it was so late I just stayed up.
    no over hang :)

yeah, the whiskey/cocaine diet always served me well in the past. slim
    and trim I was, yeah? gonna gice that another go, Dave!

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

"The problem with the atkins diet (or any other high protein diet), is that your body will go into ketosis mode and start producing harmful ketones (like nail polish remover etc.)." Well, I looked this up, having been convinced that protein's harmful effect was increased nitrogen intake turning into toxic ammonia... Ketosis occurs during the breakdown of fat, whereas urea production occurs after the digestion of protein.

Oh, and ketones are necessary sources of energy within the body, just too much of them causes the blood to go acidic.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Actually, for men, Atkins works great as long as you stick to it. The problem is, once you start eating carbs again you will start gaining if you don't watch what you eat and excercise once in awhile.