Attaining happiness

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by EdwardH, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdwardH

EdwardH New Member

I wish what I write here will heal everyone, but it won't. What I'm going to write is how I achieved happiness. There is no formula for happiness - What works for one person might not work for another, but I believe what I'm about to write can be applied to most.

I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Edward. I have dealt with depression the majority of my life. I have attempted suicide on three occasions, and I was a cutter. Now, I am free. I don't know how to explain it correctly, but I'll try my best.

Nothing I can say or do can make you stop feeling the pain or sadness. The only person who can make yourself happy is you. Happiness comes from within. The thoughts are in your head, and I can't change your head. This is up to you.

Freedom
    When I say I am free, what I mean to say is I'm free from fear, I'm free from worry, I'm free from sadness. Not completely, but enough that I am no longer depressed.

How did this happen? For me, it was purely by chance. One night I had a dream that felt so real to me. In my dream, someone pointed a rifle at my head and pulled the trigger. What I felt was so real to me, I felt myself die. It was so instantaneous I couldn't think, one minute I was there, and the next I felt all my fears, all my sadness slip away. I felt nothing. When I woke up, that was the happiest day of my life. I was no longer afraid to die. You would think this is a bad thing to happen for someone who is suicidal, but it had quite the opposite effect on me. Now that I'm no longer afraid to die, I'm no longer afraid of pain. I'm no longer afraid of the world. That night, all my problems died with me, but I woke up reborn.

The first step to happiness is freeing yourself. When you are free, when you're not afraid, nothing can hurt you. Sure, you still feel sad about normal things, but you will understand that in the long run, it doesn't matter.

How can someone free themselves? I wish I had the answer, but I think it has something to do with your purpose.

What the hell is the meaning of life? What is my purpose?
    I hear a lot of people ask me this question. What is the meaning of life? What is my purpose in life?

That's up to you. That's the beauty of there not being a meaning to life - you get to make your own purpose. Isn't that awesome? You have control over your destiny! What is your purpose?

Mine? My purpose, my meaning, is to be happy, to experience every bit of life that I can, and to give my time and money to those who need it more than I do.

My purpose is to wake up and sit in the sun.
    My purpose is to look up at the clouds and admire their beauty.
    My purpose is to watch a romantic comedy with my girlfriend.
    My purpose is to give that homeless man a new sweater.
    My purpose is to breath in the fresh air of the mountains.
    My purpose is to live.

The beauty of life
    Ever since I became free, everything is beautiful. Look at the stars. Look at the sky. Look at the people walking by. Look at the trees. Look at the concrete world around you. There are so many colours, so many shapes and designs. The bad is just static, just noise to the beautiful signal of life.

The only thing that matters is your happiness. What you experience.

Have a picnic in the park.
    Go to the woods and hang out with wildlife.
    Go look at some fractals or art.
    Listen to some music in a foreign language you don't speak.

The earth is so beautiful, and we are so lucky to be here. We're so lucky that we are capable of things like love and happiness and sadness and joy. Everyone is capable of these things. So are you.

Take the power back, take your life back
    Be pro-active, not re-active. Don't wait around for you to be magically happy. Go out there and take it. You DESERVE TO BE HAPPY.

Why is your life so dull? So meaningless? How can it be otherwise, you're not out there exploring the world. You have to look around you. You have to get out of that dull boring room and go experience life.

Happiness does not fall from the sky into your lap. Happiness must be achieved. It's not hard to achieve, you don't need money, no job, no house, no fancy car, happiness is in you. You just need to bring it out.

I spent a good portion of my life wondering why I was so miserable. Why am I sad? Why can't the pain stop? Why can't my life be better? I realized that if I had spent even a quarter of the time trying to improve my life as I do mopping about it, I would be so happy. Guess what? I am.

Stop trying to convince yourself that there is nothing to be happy about. Stop trying to convince yourself that you're sad.
    Stop trying to convince yourself that you're hopeless. NO one is hopeless.
    If you really want your happiness, go and get it.

Your enlightenment is up to you. Some people achieve happiness through their experiences. Some through their relationships. Some through their religion. How you achieve it is up to you. Just know, I was like you. I was stuck in a dark hole. I thought for years I had no chance of getting out of that hole. I was damaged, broken, I was lost. If I can make it out, so can you.

Your life has value, so fight for it, and remember, today is a rainy day, but the sun will always shine.

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Thanks I am really down and needed to hear that...I really can't let it in right now as I feel so hopeless but am going to save this for saner times...if they come to me. Thanks for sharing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.