Attempted suicide and they sent me home

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by kel2588, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel2588

kel2588 Member

I don't know what to do anymore.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

they sent you home with no back up supports you go back to hospital then and tell them you need supports in place or go to your doctor and get doc to refer you to help in the community ok

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

:hug: I'm sorry you feel so lost about what to do now. Sometimes (no beds in psych ward, no programs available that fit the person's needs), the hospital will just ensure that someone is "physically" stable, and make sure the person will be seeing their mental health team/person to follow up.

I'm glad you have reached out here. :)

Would a stay in hospital be helpful for you? What would you like from a hospital stay? Maybe you could find out from your doc/pdoc/therapist what programs are available during a hospital stay and see if they can arrange it - IF that is the right kind of help. Sometimes there are outpatient programs that are good too.

Perhaps the best bet now is to make some calls to your doc/pdoc/therapist to follow up with them and talk about the attempt you made. You could raise the idea of a hospital stay and explore what you and your team thinks it could do to help you. They might have other suggestions, too.

You have a valuable spot on this planet - you matter! Keep us posted about your progress! :hug:

4. soulreaper

soulreaper Well-Known Member

what would you like them to do?

5. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Hey
    I don't normally post in response in case I say something wrong. I just wanted to say I was where you are a few years ago and I get how scared you must feel, but you do need to be honest with yourself and ring your Dr, tell them you're scared and don't trust yourself. Let them help you ok, its time for you now :grouphug: keep posting, you are not alone here.

6. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

What country are you in Kel?

7. kel2588

kel2588 Member

The UK. I've been in hospital twice before and they give you no treatment whilst your in there (therapy wise), they just 'contain' you until they think you are safe...but give you no skills to help you when you leave hospital! I'd like them to help me get better, but when I realise they can't/won't is when I see suicide as the only option. They told me someone from the home treatment team would visit me today...they visit me every other day anyway to give me my medication, but again they don't treat me in terms of therapy or coping strategies. I feel like I don't have the energy to fight for treatment, it's been 5 months since I was first admitted and all i've been given is medication - when they themselves admit I need talking therapy to get better.

Sorry for moaning.

8. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

hey kel, don't feel sorry for anything on here! I totally understand where you're at and that you need talking therapy to get better. (Recuperating from my attempt I talked with (or rather, at!) a psychotherapist once a week for an hour, and it was a vital part of my healing, to have it received by someone who was listening and hearing me).

I'm amazed the hospital does not suggest this to you. How are you placed as regards finding a psychotherapist?

9. lonel

lonel Account Closed

hi kel - im new here and i have found many nice people who help and dont judge and i hope you can find something that helps tool. you are not alone. welcome

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi Kel,

I have been in a similar situation to you before. The reason why the don't offer you therapy while you are acutely unwell is because therapy throws up a lot of feelings which in turn can bring up some unwanted memories and thoughts etc and it can actually make you feel worse for a while until those issues are dealt with. If you are already actively suicidal they will not offer you it because of the danger it imposes on your health, so until you are at a more stable place therapy is a no no.

11. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

Okay then Kel if you are seriously suicidal and feel like just meds are not enough and you want to explore your suicidal feelings with all the inherent risk that entails. With people that will listen and try and work through it somewhat with you. Then you could try and get a referral here. http://www.maytree.org.uk/ If you can pester your community care people to contact them; then all the better. If not you can self refer I have no idea though how soon they can open a place for you. Please be gentle with yourself in the mean time and make use of the supportive people here.

Take care.

12. kel2588

kel2588 Member

Butterfly,

That definitely makes sense. I guess my next question is how do i get in a more stable place without help of some sort? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question!

13. kel2588

kel2588 Member

Adam,

I have never come across that place before in all the hours/days/weeks i have been researching. I will definitely look into it - thank you!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.