Attempts: Materialising pain?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by endgame01, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. endgame01

endgame01 Member

One of the problems of feeling extreme psychological and emotional pain is the lack of physical symptoms.
    A broken limb is clearly visible, a burn is physically visible, and so are cuts.
    Since society, in general, seems sceptical of believing in, or visualising, its extreme impact on the victims, I wonder if suicide attempts are actually a means by which we try to represent in physical terms an invisible emotional pain.

I wonder whether my initial attempt back in May 2010, was actually an attempt to physically represent an invisible emotional turmoil.

It had the desired effect, in that I am now getting psychological help.
    I am beginning to question my motives. Did I really want to die? (at the time, I genuinely did).

Have you ever wondered your own motives for suicide attempts?
    In general society is at fault, but thankfully the medical profession is ahead of the curve? Its a pity that a hospital visit is needed to highlight your pain.

2. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

Of course there are different motives for suicide. Mine was a result of complete hopelessness and a need to stop the pain and escape.

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi endgame. I think you raise an intriguing point that many suicide attempts are actually ways to show others that a person is suffering and serious about ending his/her life. After all, if someone doesn't show any physical symptoms, then how are other people supposed to know that they are suffering? When someone asks, 'how are you?' The common response is 'fine.'

Part of the problem is that many people who are suffering with depression will put on a brave face and hide their depression from the world (possibly fearing that they will be judged harshly by others). A suicide attempt is a drastic way to show people that you are really suffering and in need of help. Unfortunately, it can mean the difference between life and death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.