Attention Seeking?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by aki, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Just a question I've been thinking about myself: do you believe in attention seeking in relation to attempting/threatening suicide?

Because surely if those sorts of thoughts are in your head there must be something wrong? If you are that desperate for someone to pay attention to how you feel?

Even with self harm, I've known people who I've accused (not to their face) of dong it for attention. But for most 'normal' people (I know that term is incorrect) the thought of someone injuring themselves seems so terrible and extreme. So to lose that fear, that inherent self preservation, there must be some sort of problem.

I even accuse myself of it sometimes. Like even when I post here. I just really want how I feel to be noticed and appreciated by someone. Say even if I've had an okay day. I've acted normally with my family etc. Then I come on here and post about extreme feelings. I have to ask myself the question: do I really feel that way and just hide it normally, or do I just want sympathy/ attention from people on this forum?
  2. jessikah2k8

jessikah2k8 Well-Known Member

When I was attempting suicide.. all I wanted was for someone to help me, someone to take me by the hand and make everything better. Suicide is a cry for help, as are thoughts of suicide. When we type, or type our feelings, sometimes it makes your TRUE feelings come out.. which is what I find with me.. I can smile and laugh and act normally around people, then behind closed doors I break down.. THAT'S LIFE. And that's FACT. Just because your suicidal doesn't mean you go around depressed all the time..
  3. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

IMO there are two major types of 'suicidee'.
    Those that just go ahead and do it straight off. And those that wallow in the feeling and look around in I guess almost blindness for something to relieve the feeling.
    Attention seekers who feel suicidal, to me, are people who feel so absolutly trapped that when they find any outlet at all to relieve the thoughts and feel like someone cares, they go overboard just to sustain that feeling.
    It's kinda like burning your hand and running it under a cold tap. The burning is a horrid sensation so cooling it down is nice, but when you remove your hand it hurts again so you want to keep it under.
    Some people will take their hand away and resist the pain until it hurts too much again. Others can't handle that pain anymore and keep it there.
  4. Will

Will Staff Alumni

I think that there are just two types of people when it comes to SI/Suicide.

There are those with a problem, who try to fix it, and get help, etc. And then there are those who only do it for attention, and they'll threaten people with it.

I know what you mean, though, by trying to act 'normal' in real life, and unload on a forum. I think that most people who do it for attention, know that they're doing it. But you have to remember you came here for help. If it's helping you, than it's probably best to stay.

It's just like, a mental thing :unsure:
  5. LonelyKid

LonelyKid Well-Known Member

Every time I thought on one of my problems before a few weeks ago I thought to myself after saying them, "Are these real? Or do I just want attention? Did I make them up? Just cuz I'm alone?" Because it seemed so different from the normal feelings I had when I was with people. Though since I never shared those feelings, or expressed them in any way, I learned at least I wasn't inventing them for attention.

I still think that sometimes "Am I inventing these bad feelings for pity?" but since I have nobody around I at least bring it down to a degree of believing it only a little. Even this post makes me feel like I'm posting for attention.

Besides me though, I make it a good idea to take all threats of suicide seriously no matter the person or agenda. If they're doing it for just attention, why are they doing it? At least figure out that much before coming to a conclusion about their feelings. If they're making any statements about it it worries me because any thought can lead to at least a suicidal gesture (attempt at suicide with plans of not succeeding) which could go wrong.
  6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

"Attention seeking" is a very loaded word. To me, it's a very psychiatric, mental-health-community word. Isn't everything a cry for attention? Isn't the feeling of "am I real?" a very basic human need- the feeling that you know that you exist?

I don't think it's wrong to do those things. When I'm at rock bottom and I say I want to die or I'm going to kill myself everyone knows around me that it's serious. I don't attempt suicide often and the attempts I did were mostly, "help me nobody is helping me I need help now" All those things were whispers/or cries for someone to help yeah. Always. I wanted someone to listen to me. I was in a horrific amount of pain then. my social worker says she knows how bad i am if i come to her like that....

No I don't think there needs to be something 'very wrong' with the people you accuse of self harming for 'attention.' Perhaps it's a type of projection-maybe as you say in your final paragraph, you don't feel comfortable with the attention given to your self harm so you despise others who you feel aren't doing it for 'real' reasons and doing it for 'attention.'

I've wanted to rip my face, I've wanted to scar my face and cut my face as my face would show yeah, this fucking hurts. This is my pain and I'm ruining my face because my face DOES NOT belong to you, and although you might say I'm 'mad' (a cutting one's face to bits is different from hiding your arms) it says I'm scarring my face- and disfiguring it out of my own volition because I'm so angry at everything, I'm angry at being controlled. I don't want to be a girl. Or a "pretty girl" where your face dictates everything. Not only those reasons I think there was a lot going on at that time of my life I just felt fed up of hiding my arms and self harm being so secretive and something I should be ashamed of (a bit like abuse from another person)

Lately I've just wanted to cut my arms and bleed down the street. Mainly my self harm urges now are developing into different things- rather than reasons when I was 17. It's more of- I need to cut and it's not because I'm 'depressed' any more. It's because of something else....
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  7. Canti

Canti Guest

This is something ive been battling with in my head for some time now. I´ll read the thread later im abit tired.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.