Attention Women Taking YAZ or Yasmine Birth Control!

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Dave_N, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Attention Women Taking YAZ or Yasmine Birth Control pills! I just finished watching a Marketplace documentary, in which they interviewed women who had been taking YAZ or Yasmine birth control. These pills are marketed by Bayer to help with PMS symptoms and weight loss as well as provide birth control, but what they don't tell you is that they can cause pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in your lungs) and these can be fatal.

If you or someone you know is taking YAZ or Yasmine, ask your doctor to prescribe a more safer birth control pill. If you ever have difficulty breathing, go to the ER immediately. You may be experiencing a pulmonary embolism and if that travels to your heart or brain, you could die.

Also, pharmaceutical companies send out salesmen to doctors so that they can prescribe their drugs. Often times, doctors don't even know of the complications associated with these drugs, until the drug companies issue a recall, because people have died taking them.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Taking any medication has a risk. Birth control in general has a lot of bad side effects because it messes with your hormones. The media and television only focus on the horror stories, the majority of people will never get a pulmonary embolism. The media like to scare monger, if it was dangerous it wouldn't be licensed. There are far more dangerous medications out there, such as chemotherapy, antipsychotics etc but people need them.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Well said, Butterfly.

There are also lifestyle choices and other risk factors that make it riskier for a woman to be on the pill. Obesity, cardiovascular problems, smoking are the main ones to come to mind.

If I, a non-medical person, know this much about the pill, I'm certain the average prescribing doctor knows at least this much and more about what s/he is doing.

It is up to both doctor and patient to discuss the pros and cons of any treatment/medication plan of any aspect of the patient's health.

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Just remember Acy, that doctors are human beings too. They spent many years in medical school and have a vast amount of medical knowledge. But these new drugs (like YAZ) come out really quickly and are heavily marketed by the pharmaceutical companies, whose primary objective is to make huge profits for their shareholders, not to give you a great quality of life.

5. lostbutnotfound

lostbutnotfound Well-Known Member

Hiya Dave,

I probably won't be very popular after I post this.. but here goes. I've read a few of your posts recently and I get the sense that you just scaremonger people. Instead of offering helpful, productive, caring thoughts you tend to lean towards the more aggressive tone, putting fear into everything. I may be wrong, but that's what I've observed.

In regards to this post.. no drug is 100% safe. Everyone is different and reacts in different ways. So while this particular drug may carry risks.. so does every other drug out there. I see you have written about doctors being only human, like the rest of us. This is true of course, however.. they've got years of training and experience under their belts. Don't get me wrong, I've had very negative experiences with doctors, BUT at the end of the day the majority do actually know what they're talking about. Firstly, the governing body would not allow this medication to be prescribed or over-the-counter if there was such a huge risk of people dying. Secondly, there isn't a drug out there that is 100% without risk. I'm on risky medication at the moment, but that's what I need, if I didn't have it my life would be even worse than it is now.

I don't think that putting fear into women about birth control is the best thing for anyone involved. Of course all medication should be talked through between patient and doctor, so an agreement can be reached. But it's important to remember that this medication will have had to go through several trials and tests before it was even considered to be put on the market.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Sorry if you believe I was fear mongering by posting this warning. I watched a documentary on it and a girl died from taking this pill, so I thought the right thing to do was post it just so women taking this could be aware of the risks. I'll try not to fearmonger anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.