Attribution theory, how we attribute others behavior

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by LightInTheDarkestNight, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Psychology is something that interests me. How we attribute why people do things.

Dispositional attributions

Perceptual salience and attribution

This makes sense if someone comes off as rude or wrongs you or others, people don't like to accept or take into account the fact that their are many other external factors that play a role in them coming off that way. Some people just assume good people never or don't do bad things. In many peoples minds if someone wrongs you or a friend they must be a "bad person" otherwise they would have never wronged you.

Everybody makes mistakes we all harm people, it's a part of life. It's very hard for most people to comprehend the fact that someone wronging you may have been due to the context of their situation not purely their personality. They think "if he(or she) was a good person they wouldn't have wronged me". If you cause harm to someone you prevent cognitive dissonance by thinking worse of that person. The opposite can be said if you do a favor for someone you think better of them.

Even nice, caring or just "good" people can come off or even do rude, angry, things from time to time. That doesn't necessarily make them a bad person.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

this is what my mom thinks, whenever I get into a fight with a friend, automatically they are bad and I got to let them go....

yep and its a hard thing to realize or accept....unconsciously we all want to be perfect, or the ideal of perfection

3. LightInTheDarkestNight

I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself. Oddly enough my life is in shambles.

It can certainly can be hard for some people to accept that nice or good people do come off as rude or angry from time to time. People tend to oversimplify things and only see someone from a very narrow point of view.
  4. LightInTheDarkestNight

bump... I think this is an interesting read there is also interpersonal attribution that we justify our actions or previous ones in a way to make ourselves appear in the best light...