August Healthy Lifestyle thread

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
^ Awesome! :) That's great I'm really happy for you that you got such a useful gift for your bday that will bring positive & healthy changes for you in your life. Ty for what you said to what I said too @BritishBloke ya I think diet is at least a bit more important than exercise for weight loss but I think they are both important. I think exercise is a lot more important if your diet isn't perfect so that no extra pounds will be packed on at least.

Congrats to everyone else for the positive changes you've all made I'm so proud of you for all the effort you've made! :) And to those who are feeling like giving up because of not noticing much change or progress, please do not give up no matter what because as Sunspots said some weeks it's like it's all been for nothing but then the next it catches up & when it does then it's so worth it :) I'm trying hard to stay focused on the fact that exercising and eating better will not only help with weight loss but all the other positive health benefits too like how it affects my moods and general mental state, my body feeling healthier and stronger and all the other levels it helps improve. I put together these positive/encouraging collages earlier so just thought I'd share them in here, hope they will maybe help people feel more inspired or motivated, feel free to print them out & pass them on if you want to! :) ;)

celebrateyoucut.png
topost.png

Affirm

Public Access
Though 8 days late, thanks for the tag @Sunspots.

With just starting highschool this month and being busy, I've come off track when it comes to lifestyle, and the habits I've been trying to reestablish. I've been trying to push myself to follow the exercise routine I've come with, and to avoid frozen foods. Never knew how hard being surrounded by frozen junkfood makes it, teenage brothers eh?

Goal is to lose maybe 10-15 pounds, then progress from there. Eat higher protein, less fat.

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Tysm @Sunspots for your kind comment on those! :) It really means a lot to me since I put most of them together (added the text for everything except the "expect nothing appreciate everything" one. I wrote the celebrate you thing and the not needing anyone else to love, worship, etc... ones but the rest were written by others. Oh I didn't make any of the backgrounds either.) ;)

Also just wanted to say hey @Affirm don't think I ever talked to you here before but wishing you lots of luck with reaching your weight loss goal, with focus, commitment & dedication you can absolutely do it, I believe in you! :)*hug

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I did really well with my first week - lost 10lb (always lose a lot the first week) but then my daughter came home for a couple of days. She's a terrible influence on me (It's okay for her, she's always been a skinny malinky).
So she wanted a BBQ on Tuesday - I gave in and had a burger. Well, you can't smell a BBQ and not have some right? Oh, and also had a beer.
Then yesterday we went shopping and there was a new Greek food stall open. Normally we'd be in Greece right now and it's killing me that we can't go this year. So we had a pitta chicken gyros, full of chicken, fries and tzatziki (although there was some lettuce, onion and tomato too so that's good yeah?)

Was dreading stepping on to the scales this morning but so far I've stayed the same since Tuesday morning - hopefully it doesn't catch up with me later 🤞🏻

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Had ice cream as a treat tonight. Thats a setback but hey didnt eat it all actally. 2/3 put back in freezer for tomorrow. Kinda think my tolerance of sweetness is diminishing as was getting sickly sweet in back of my throat.

Is it my body rejecting it? Time will tell.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I am going away for a few days at the weekend and there's no way I'm drinking shakes instead of eating in the hotel or pub. I'll just try to not go mad and to stay away from the dessert menu
Well that didn't happen. So far I've eaten my own weight in pizza and pavlova and am just about to tuck into a full English breakfast at the hotel followed by another pub meal tonight. I think I've probably just put the stone I've lost back on *shy*hysterical

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
I've completely cut out alcohol and have massively increased my water consumption...I get a 35% discount with my company so stocked up on sparkling water (w/ a bit of lime added). I bought some fresh limes to cut up so I can boost the flavor a little. Also eating a lot more fruit and vegetables, fiber and complex carbs. Very little processed foods..More or less eating a Mediterranean diet these days (lots of fish, nuts, healthy oils, no red meat....)Doing a lot more hiking as well.

Depression lingers, but it's not as oppressive these days, which I count as a victory of sorts...

Best of luck to everyone in achieving your health goals

Last edited:

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Well that didn't happen. So far I've eaten my own weight in pizza and pavlova and am just about to tuck into a full English breakfast at the hotel followed by another pub meal tonight. I think I've probably just put the stone I've lost back on *shy*hysterical
well, it was a tasty way to spend the weekend but hey, you're allowed to enjoy yourself once in a while? :D just get back on track and you're sorted innit ;)

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've completely cut out alcohol and have massively increased my water consumption...I get a 35% discount with my company so stocked up on sparkling water (w/ a bit of lime added). I bought some fresh limes to cut up so I can boost the flavor a little. Also eating a lot more fruit and vegetables, fiber and complex carbs. Very little processed foods..More or less eating a Mediterranean diet these days (lots of fish, nuts, healthy oils, no red meat....)Doing a lot more hiking as well.

Depression lingers, but it's not as oppressive these days, which I count as a victory of sorts...

Best of luck to everyone in achieving your health goals
Cutting out alcohol is good! I've seen massive improvements in my progress, since I've stopped drinking so much! How often were you drinking before @LonelyHiker ? Diet sounds good though and the hiking is good...

You found getting healthier has helped your depression at all? I'm glad it's not as oppressive nowadays though. That is a victory!

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
Cutting out alcohol is good! I've seen massive improvements in my progress, since I've stopped drinking so much! How often were you drinking before @LonelyHiker ? Diet sounds good though and the hiking is good...

You found getting healthier has helped your depression at all? I'm glad it's not as oppressive nowadays though. That is a victory!
Thank you for the kind words @BritishBloke! And congrats on cutting down yourself!

As to your inquirys, I was probably averaging 4-5 pints of beer daily, which is definitely way over the healthy limit of two units a day...I decided abstaining completely was really the only option. I could rarely stop after one or two, and while I am not an alcoholic, I was certainly abusing it. I find I don't miss it at all!

Yes, eating better and exercising have definitely helped lift my mood. The depression hasn't gone away (I suspect it never will), but it has certainly abated a fair bit.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thank you for the kind words @BritishBloke! And congrats on cutting down yourself!

As to your inquirys, I was probably averaging 4-5 pints of beer daily, which is definitely way over the healthy limit of two units a day...I decided abstaining completely was really the only option. I could rarely stop after one or two, and while I am not an alcoholic, I was certainly abusing it. I find I don't miss it at all!

Yes, eating better and exercising have definitely helped lift my mood. The depression hasn't gone away (I suspect it never will), but it has certainly abated a fair bit.
You're welcome man... and yes, i'm enjoying a few tonight but... in moderation and all ;)

Yeah, you'll find as well, a lot of that beer gut you get, is actually a lot of gas too :D it's good to abstain for a period of time though and if you get the taste for doing it again, at least you know, you can abstain from it! It's good man! We do definitely tend to abuse it because "well it's only 4 or 5 innit? I could be worse, I could be an alcoholic", I've said that sort of thing to myself, so, many, times. I'm glad you're doing well though. It's nice to hear.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think healthy eating and exercise is some miracle cure for depression at all, it can certainly improve aspects of our depression, that relate personally to the subject of our self esteem about our own bodies though. I'm glad it's really helped you!

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Can someone please tag me for September? Which is tomorrow for me ;)

I completely forgot about this forum. Probably because I've never participated in it before! :D I've been eating pretty well and exercising for the last few weeks. I've lost some weight and my muscles still get sore so I must be doing something right. Lol. I'll just jump into September with my goals.

Tagging @Sunspots - if you open the new one (or whoever does) *yes4

Egg119

SF Supporter
I've completely cut out alcohol and have massively increased my water consumption.
Cutting out alcohol is good! I've seen massive improvements in my progress, since I've stopped drinking so much!
I've stopped drinking alcohol too. I wasn't consuming a massive quantity, 4 500ml bottles of cider a couple of times a week, but since they were 8.2% alcohol, each bottle was more than 4 uk units. I was suffering from really bad hangover depression the next day, which is the main reason I wanted to stop, along with the fact I'm still struggling to loose a few KG and a bit of a gut I put on since quitting smoking tobacco three and a half years ago.
I stopped smoking weed too a few days ago, so I'm having quite a detox! :mad:
Still cycling to work most days, crap british weather permitting. And also trying to improve my eating habits.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00