Australian Duty of Care parameters

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shock, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I just wandering if anyone can help me with a link giving the parameters of the Duty of Care agreement. I want to know what is and isnt appropriate to talk about with counselors

Thanks heaps :)

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

There is a difference between 'Duty of Care' and 'Confidientiality', although some interrelationship. Which do you wish to define?

3. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Yes the distinguisher between them is what I wish to define - ie what can you talk about before it slips into Duty of Care area.

The reason I ask is because there are many issues regarding suicide that I would quite like to talk about but I do not want to trigger Duty of 'Care'

Thanks!

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I always think it is a good idea to talk to the individual and see his/her interpretation as there is a wide boundary of Duty of Care, but less so with confidentiality issues...this also depends upon your age and previous history...J

5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

they only tend to tell someone if they think ur at risk of danger(suicide etc) or someone else is. Or atleast that's wat my psych said.

6. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Unless they think you're an immediate danger to yourself or others, it's pretty safe. They usually consider your history as well. Most of all, they usually tell if they it is "a duty of care" issue and then sometimes you can convince them if you're a serious threat to yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.