Autism and no help

hi all , I am new here and want to share my story on why I have having these thoughts and feelings. My council is useless , and have given me no support since 2017 diagnosis of ASD (Autism) . I went though and ombudsman and I won but there doing the same thing again. They gave me a student social worker who is only qualified in mental health and not Autism. The needs assessment was not done properly and they still trying to get money out of me for care..which i can't afford. 4 years of battling and I am close to giving up. I don't think I can fight anymore i am mentally exhasted and overwhelmed.

Does anybody remember the case of callie Lewis who was on the spectum and lost though the system and she ended her life in the lake district . I don't want to go that way I don't but being different and not fitting in and being odd. It's hard not to have this thoughts having no support whatsoever i don't even have family or friends. Its one rabbit hole after another

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
hi all , I am new here and want to share my story on why I have having these thoughts and feelings. My council is useless , and have given me no support since 2017 diagnosis of ASD (Autism) . I went though and ombudsman and I won but there doing the same thing again. They gave me a student social worker who is only qualified in mental health and not Autism. The needs assessment was not done properly and they still trying to get money out of me for care..which i can't afford. 4 years of battling and I am close to giving up. I don't think I can fight anymore i am mentally exhasted and overwhelmed.

Does anybody remember the case of callie Lewis who was on the spectum and lost though the system and she ended her life in the lake district . I don't want to go that way I don't but being different and not fitting in and being odd. It's hard not to have this thoughts having no support whatsoever i don't even have family or friends. Its one rabbit hole after another
Hey and welcome to the forum @Kez1986 , while it's great for a student to get experience, they're clearly not seeing your case as important as you see it, that they feel like they can get a student to oversee it. Maybe if you make a few noises about feeling that you need someone a little bit more experienced in the area that you require, you will get the help that you need. Sometimes they need a kick up the arse. I know that it's hard to express some things, especially considering I fall under one of the umbrellas of ASD. I don't really know what to suggest there? Sometimes writing some things down in a notepad and letting the person read it? Email it?

I did kick up a fuss, but there ignoring my emails .. as per, I won with ombudsmen to have a proper needs assessment and still they are being lazy about it. Its been a 4 year battle just trying to get help.

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
It's understandable to be depressed when you feel you don't fit in. I'm glad you found SF. You'll always have a place here to share your thoughts and feelings. And there are other people here on the spectrum who will understand what you're going through. We're here for you. And we're glad to have you here.

Thats very kind of you , its nice to be wanted considering i have been a misfit all my life 33 years to be exact. My only option now is to go back to my mp which i did and emailed him . If I had sufficient funds I would take them to court its against my human rights and everything they have said they have done they have donetotal opposite.

Sorry that you're going through this.

Is the main issue that you're not getting medical treatment, or that you're not get support financially or for work?

Its not the medical its just supoort in general. But the law says if I refuse to pay the care package they have to still meet my needs and give me an other option without cost. But they won't. Also the needs assessment was not carried out properly and was done by a student who only qualifed in mental health not autism. She never asked about my sensory touch / taste / noise/ etc. Or how it effects me. It was ask plain simple question and be done

MIND.org.uk might be a good resource. Autism may not be contained in mental health issues, but they may be able to refer to you the right services.

Maybe there's a specific autism organization in the UK?

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hi @Kez1986 , sorry to hear that you've been so incredibily messed about in terms of trying to seek effective support. To say it's frustrating is an understatement, your local authority has seems to have displayed an incredible negligent duty of care.

As mentioned earlier, Mind could be of help (if you havn't accessed them already that is.) They can help to find local advocacy services in your area as well as helping to locate what help is on offer and available for you to access.

Here's the link, in case you're interested

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

Where i live there is nothing for adults my age ie when you past your sell by date and over 30 its from ages 9 to 16 and 18 to 25. I have gone to an advocate service and I am now seeking legal aid as they have breached my human rights. Also waiting for my mp to contact me . I live in an unfunded area and there is little limit. But I thank you for your advice much appreciated 🙏

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
That certainly is a breach of Human Rights, in fact I see it as withholding support based on an age discriminatory basis.

Hope you'll be able to get legal aid and something will change allowing you to get the support you need.

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Welcome to SF @Kez1986 :)

Others have already said a few important things and I don't really have much more to add as I'm not from the UK so I'm not very familiar with what is and isn't available for you.

The way that you have been, and still are being treated, is terrible and I'm sorry that you're still going through it. It's very disappointing that we still have a somewhat uneducated society like this in 2020. ASD is nothing new and you have a right to be treated with the respect that you rightfully deserve.

She never asked about my sensory touch / taste / noise/ etc. Or how it effects me. It was ask plain simple question and be done
This right here proves the utter incompetence of your assessment! They are very simple and standard questions to ask a person with Autism so the fact that none of these things were asked just goes to show that you clearly weren't assessed correctly!

Anyway, I hope that you stick around and get the support that you need here. We're a pretty friendly bunch of people and there's heaps of other members also on the spectrum. There's also those of us (such as myself) who have children or loved one's on the spectrum so you're in good company!

Take good care of yourself and here's a virtual hug (if you don't mind them) *hug ox

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00