Avid Reader, what next

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by FrainBart, Aug 25, 2016.

1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I read. A lot. I devour books at a rapid pace, sometimes 2 a day sometimes a few days per book. I'm currently making my way through the Kindle unlimited selection, and while some are OK some are complete fodder. I'm thinking of broadening my horizons. So if anyone has something they've read and enjoyed, please share. I'm open to pretty much any genre. Just no 50 shades of grey and such.
    Mr Stewart likes this.
  2. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

Well who doesn't love to push their favourite things to other people :)

I really like sci-fi so I'll recommend you my 2 faves; Neuromancer and Hyperion and all the books that folllow them in their series are incredible.

I'd like to see other people's recommendations as well for ideas on what to read.
    Mr Stewart likes this.
  3. dodie

dodie Member

I like contemporary mysteries that aren't violent. I also like WW2. The author, Phillip Kerr has several books on the war, all of which r interesting.

For mysteries, there's Janet Evanovich (sp?) Stuart Woods, Marcia Muller, Bill Pronzini and lots more.
  4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Holy Moly - books <3

MonkeeWrench series by P J Tracy (just really good thrillers) Starts with "Want to Play"

Rizzoli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen (Don't be put off by the dreadful TV show if you have seen any of it - books bear no resemblance to it) Starts with "The Surgeon"

Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs (Again - don't be put off by the horrendous movie! These are the book equivalent of a mindless action movie.) Stars with "Killing Floor"

Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland (this is a really good book but its heavy going - maybe don't read if you are already depressed - no idea what genre you'd put it in, and be prepared for WEIRD)

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (Pretty long books but probably the best 'high' fantasy books I have read, and I have read a lot.)

Urban Fantasy:

Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong (starts with "Bitten) - werewolves and witches, bit of romance but not loads, fun and light read.
    Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Starts with "Storm Front") Wizards. I like to think the main character looks like David Tennant ;) good books - get better after the first one (not that the first one sucks)
    Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (Starts with "Moon Called") Changelings of various types. Some vampires. Tiny bit of romance

I won't bang on for dozens of these - its my go to 'escape' genre so I read a lot. If you're into urban fantasy let me know and I can give you a bunch more.

I can't list any good chick lit because I do not think that there is any 'good' chick lit. If I had to read some I would go for Louise Bagshaw for utter trash (in a kinda good way) or Jane Green for slightly less trashy. Meg Cabot "Size 12 is not fat" series is chick lit with a mystery twist and kinda fun.

I second Janet Evanovich - its bizarre and trashy but in a good way. Plus sexy guys.

I like Pride and Prejudice if you fancy a 'classic'.

Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde (seriously seriously brilliant books - sadly the first is by far the worst of them - and is a bit hard to get through because it is setting up the world, which is a bit odd - but the man is truly nuts in an absolutely marvellous way and so so clever) Starts with "The Eyre Affair".

Sigma Force series by James Rollins (a bit 'James Bond' crossed with the Da Vinci Code - don't read his other books, they're not very good, but this series is really good) Starts with "Sandstorm"

Harry Potter - obviously.

I like my books escapist and non-depressing for the most part. I don't want to 'work hard' while reading, I want to drift away into another place.

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare (recently made into a really bad tv show - was also a really bad film - groan! But really awesome books. My students used to fight each other for my copies of this set. Fantasy - technically young adult books but it really doesn't matter - they're great) Starts with "City of Bones"

Going to stop now lol
  5. dodie

dodie Member

re; Jack Reacher. How in God's name could they star that little runt, Tom Cruise, as Reacher, who is supposed to be I think 6'4"? I saw the trailer and also the trailer for the latest one and they bear no resemblance to the books at all.

I read an interview with the author who said he was thrilled with the choice of Cruise. I think the producer felt he needed a big name to bring people into the theater to c the movie.

Freya likes this.
  6. calvinandhobbs

calvinandhobbs Well-Known Member

Reacher is Tom? Omg... Noooo. Where is this playing? I've been out of loop. The surgeon is amazing!!
  7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

@Freya and others

OMG - Douglas Coupland! More good reads by Douglas Coupland:

Generation X
    Life Without God
    All Families Are Psychotic
    The Chewing Gum Thief
    Generation A
  8. calvinandhobbs

The art of racing in the rain....I cried
  9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

@calvinandhobbs Aww...*hug* I think a lot of people cry with that one.
  10. calvinandhobbs

Have you read carol cassella?
  11. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Right now I'm reading One Minute To Midnight by Michael Dobbs. It's a detailed account of the Cuban missile crisis with fairly up to date declassified information about what exactly happened in Cuba, USA, and Soviet Union. Very good so far. I am about halfway through.

I used to be a huge fiction fan but grew tired of it eventually and switched over to non-fiction. Usually what I do is find a thing from history I don't well understand and would like to know more about, look up best reviewed book on that subject, and go from there.
    calvinandhobbs likes this.
  12. calvinandhobbs

I usually read all the time. I find I'm struggling with the same book for like 2 weeks or more. I just can't concentrate.
  13. calvinandhobbs

There is some Ellen Hopkins I want to get. Might have to go into town.
  14. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

You should read everything you can by Twain, Sir Richard Francis Burton (travelogues and translation of a thousand nights and a night) and also the Riverworld series in which those two are characters in a fictional world. All great reads. Plus they can all be downloaded for free due to the age of the works
    calvinandhobbs likes this.