Avoidant Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Anonymous2, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

2. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

I do have some problems in this but I am trying to improve though. Thanks for sharing the info.. :smile:
  3. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

yes. i do. ruined my social life and eveyr thing else really.
  4. WhyTry

WhyTry Active Member

Yep, that's me to a "T," unfortunately...
  5. DaysofGrace

DaysofGrace Member

Wow. Yah I Guess That Really Does Sum Up How I Feel And Whats Going On With Me. That Sucks Lol. But Im Also Trying To Work On These Areas Its Hard Though With All The Depression I Feel Sometimes.
  6. I used to think I did... but now I think Avoidant personality disorder is a load of crap. I think the real problem is low-selfesteem and sensitivity. I was just very disconnected with the people around me and didn't want to deal with them, didn't want to deal with emotions and the chance of feeling bad so I avoided people. I was also afraid of how they'd judge me.

PLEASE PLEASE don't slap a label on yourself because I promise you someday you won't feel the way you do now about being around others.

This is a problem that can be overcome but it's different from everyone.
  7. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I've never really had this but I can understand how it can ruin lives and hurt a persons self esteem.
  8. SpareTire

SpareTire Well-Known Member

Huh. I guess I do That explains alot. I diden't see where it said that the subject is not normaly aware of the disorder.
  9. 89mike

89mike Active Member

I'm trying to improve my social skills like talking more, making new friends, speaking up in class but its just so damn hard
  10. SpareTire

Yea man it is hard, But sometimes you just have do it, just act on impulse. Try to plan it out, think about what your gonna say and think about what response your gonna get, then try it. If it doesnt work out as you plan then you might have an idea how do do it better next time. Just be you, I know it's hard couse I'm the same way, but theres time I say wtf was I thinkin?, but other time where people are just like wow. your right. But ya know what if you say something dumb people tend to forget that quickly, you don't, but they do. And if you come out with something witty or helpful they tend to remember that. IDK why they just do. so if you say something that sounds dumb when it comes out, go for a fallow up, at that point theres nothin to loss. And if your fallow up works then your fuck up is forgoten, if your fallow up turns out fucked up then they say shit for a minute and it's forgotten. But a witty remark lasts a long time. weird, but that just seems to be.
  11. 89mike

89mike Active Member

sounds so easy :D, gonna try it, hope people do forget my fuckups. I have tried to speak more inclass and it seems that I can speak up as I have time to think about the answer, how to formulate it ect. but when the teacher asks me a question or to read I just totally freeze, I end up saying I don't know the answer just to get the attention off of me, even though I mostly do have something to say and if I don't then I cant think as all the pressure is on me.

But thanks for your response, gonna give it a try and hope it works out.
  12. SpareTire

Freezin up, pressure? I know that well. Just keep in mind that 1/2 the probably aren't listening, and 1/2 might be thinkin the same, after all they are just learning to. With the exception of the 1 or 2 that seem to have been born knowing it all already. But either their smart enough to respect your trying or they know how you feel because they are expected to always be right.
  13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yeah. I avoid anything and everything that presents difficulty. I just block it out and hide in my shell. I know it isn't a realistic solution but I just can't stop.
  14. gag

gag Well-Known Member

I'm Avoidant, it developed after I binged on drugs for a while, which basically made me socially retarded, which is a drag seeing as to how before that I was incredibly outgoing and almost never shy.

A good cure which I wouldn't suggest to anyone would be Alcohol, it gives me the personality I strive for. I can attract friends and women (not drunk women either) very well when I'm drinking, in fact every friend I've made or date I've gotten in the last two years (maybe 3?) has been a result of me basically opening up to people when I'm under the influence.

And I'm not saying you need to become an Alcoholic to have fun and be yourself, but if you're avoidant I think going out on Friday or Saturday night and having a few rounds would make you feel alot better about yourself.
  15. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

Alcohol helps me too, every time I have a drink I just feel normal, I don't think about what people think of me, what I should say next and the general stuff I think the entire time during the day. Its great to escape the world of public anxiety for some time.
  16. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I hadn't actually read much about Avoidant Personality Disorder until now...but I relate to an AWFUL lot that was said.

Has got me thinking..thanks :) :hug:
  17. blueburn

blueburn Member

oh man why did i read tht just confirms it my old frends who i pushed away now refer to me as a unsoctiable **** even sumone i work with speaks to me and i just stay mute and thn he says spk to me plz its rude not to answer thn theres sumone else who is same age as me 18 he talks about going to football matches in a ppl carrier wiv crates of beer and hes got a fit girlfrend and hes got lots of witty comebacks man id love to be like tht. i need to shut up now lol
  18. SpareTire

Hmmm.... I would have to say booze helps me too and all the girls I've picked up since I was 18-19 I was drinking. But I sorta get out of hand now a days when I drink. I'm a fun drunk but once I pop I can't stop. Damn, I need to work on that to. Sorry but I to have huge flaws that I don't work on.
  19. lulu rose

lulu rose Guest

reading up on it, It seems to hit the nail on the head for me. along with borderline personality disorder........I always though I was a horrible person to the ones I loved..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.