Avoidant Personality Disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure i have avoidant personality disorder. If anyone else has it or knows how to deal with it, i would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm turning 18 in june, and this issue has caused me to be extremely afraid of any kind of social interaction my entire life. I have pretty much only one friend and it's only because she is the same way as me. No one else understands me at all.

I think about suicide often. I don't want to do it but i don't feel excited about living my life at all and i feel there's no purpose to life.

pit

I've been diagnosed with Schizoid/Avoidant Personality Disorder myself, and it's no fun as you well know. I don't know what to tell you. I've failed at having intimate relationships with women. I wish I could tell you how I've conquered it, but I'm afraid it's conquered me. And my best friends are loners as well. I guess I can't expect too much out of life.

ace

I do understand it that's like a type of social phobia I think,I have BDD and I hate going in public alot of the time due to my condition.I know it can be very cruel to live with such a condition,do you see anyone have any Therapy?

Forgotten_Man

Therapy is only one way to try to get over it.

One thing I notice a lot is we want people to "get" them. However, if you do not give others a chance how can they give you a chance?

Growing Pains

I've never been formally diagnosed as having any type of social disorder, but I get extremely anxious in social situations, as well. So much to a point where I often avoid them all together. I agree, the best thing to do is probably therapy.

I usually just take social activities in strides. I don't often jump into situations where I know I'll be extremely stressed and when I have to, I do so with someone I care about. (One of my few close friends, for example.) That said, I haven't conquered it, either... and should probably seek therapy for it myself.

flowers

yes, I have avoidant personality disorder. And anxiety / depression. There are two message boards that you can join. There are some people there who have been successful in dealing with their condition. I think its a very nice place. Its moderated. So its quite safe. It is loving and supportive. I joined the two yahoo groups. But I am not very good at keeping up with it. Because the message boards are set up in a way that is not easy for me to follow. But for many people, its just right. http://www.avoidantpersonality.com/messageboards/index.htm
there is the avoidant sanctuary and the avoidant message board. you can join both if you want. I found that the avoidant chat area was too young for me. But it may be perfect for you. And yes, theraputic treatment is available for AvPD :pinkrose:

solutions

When I was hospitalized, I was diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder with Borderline Features. (my Axis I diagnosis is Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type)

Really, the treatment of choice is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. A qualified therapist can help you to challenge your core beliefs about yourself and about others. It takes a while, often many months, but it is possible to be treated for APD.

Keeping that in mind, I'm a hypocrite when I suggest that, since I reject all therapists as wrong about me and are just paid to pretend to like me, and as soon as they try to use more intimate therapies that require my honesty I back out. But, hey, I'm sure some people are much more open than I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlopexAngel

Chat Buddy
SF Supporter
I find using meds really helped at controlling my anxiety and exposure therapy is helpful at controlling the functioning part. That being said I still have some thinking patterns assosciated with AvPD but I don't have many aviodant behaviors anymore.

flowers

I find using meds really helped at controlling my anxiety and exposure therapy is helpful at controlling the functioning part. That being said I still have some thinking patterns assosciated with AvPD but I don't have many aviodant behaviors anymore.
Really good to read a success story. very cewl. Healing is a journey. Sounds like you are making good progress

I'm pretty sure i have avoidant personality disorder. If anyone else has it or knows how to deal with it, i would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm turning 18 in june, and this issue has caused me to be extremely afraid of any kind of social interaction my entire life. I have pretty much only one friend and it's only because she is the same way as me. No one else understands me at all.

I think about suicide often. I don't want to do it but i don't feel excited about living my life at all and i feel there's no purpose to life.
I was popular in highschool and was out going most of all NAIVE however its only then you realise how shallow your friends are instead of helping me it seemed like their goal was to try and embarass me in front of girls and pull pranks and also how shallow every girl is I've been rejected so many times for being the friend type. All this has caused me to have an avoidant personality disorder now that I'm in college. I found out what people are all about and I want no part of them I would rather be by myself. However being by yourself all the time gives you a lot of time to be depressed and want to give up to a bigger extent. I say don't do it just try to live YOUR life the best way you can. I struggle with this so its not easy feeling down about how people are.

i think that i may have avoidant personality disorder myself even my mother thinks so she has known that i dont like to be around people at all and i only go out once a month (not joking either) to go to the doctor for more pain meds.alot of the people i have talked to seem to agree that i have the signs of this disorder but im yet to be officially diagnosed.

Hoasis

Can someone shortly explain to me what APD is? I consider myself as being socially retarded. I dont want to speak to people, basically because I can't, (have nothing to say), and I am also afraid to be in social situations. I have always considered myself as "not being right in the head", but just cant explain what it is.

thats the way i have felt my whole life like there was something wrong with me that i couldn't quite put my finger on.the only thing i know about avoidant personality disorder is what i have read on google pages

i know this probably wont help a great deal but here are a few symptoms of the disorder

Hypersensitivity to rejection/criticism
Self-imposed social isolation
Extreme shyness or anxiety in social situations, though the person feels a strong desire for close relationships[8]
Avoids physical contact because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus
Avoids interpersonal relationships
Feelings of inadequacy
Severe low self-esteem
Self-loathing
Mistrust of others
Emotional distancing related to intimacy
Highly self-conscious
Self-critical about their problems relating to others
Problems in occupational functioning
Lonely self-perception, although others may find the relationship with them meaningful
Feeling inferior to others
In some more extreme cases — agoraphobia
Utilizes fantasy as a form of escapism and to interrupt painful thoughts

twofeet

APD is me. I was doing my homework today and started getting panicy about having to go back to school Monday. As far as suicide is concerned, on a scale of 1 - 5, I'm always at least 1. It escalates in any situation, particularly in groups in which I am supposed to participate. The standard line is "Why put people through having to know me? Why not give up now?" Then it goes to 4. 5 is dead.

flowers

In the Avoidant personality disorder message boards I have in the past been part of, people seem to have good results with CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy). Meds can help also.

Treatment is available. If you want, you can read more about it here http://www.avoidantpersonality.com/ And if you choose you can join the message boards through provided links on that webpage. Very nice people in the message boards. Well monitored.

Sometimes people who have AvPD also have other personality disorders. Others, such as myself,do not. I do have depression. Most importantly, AvPD is treatable. I do not know if it is curable. Perhaps it is. But I do know that with the correct therapy ( and maybe meds), many people have had good success working to overcome the limitations that go along with it. With the right therapy and willingness, you can get relief from this, for sure :hugtackles:

twofeet

I am managing so many websites now, I can't control them all. Keep getting mixed up and locked out.

I have gone through every therapy known to western civilization. Today I am feeling drippy because I joined a Suicide Forum and maybe I'm not "doing it right." Went in with my drawing class and the greens didn't mix right. Desperate feeling of wanting to cut, which I haven't done for years and years. What does a person supposed to do when the greens in her life don't mix right?

Last night I went to a poetry performance club. All a bunch of ultra-educated responsible rich kids. But I sat in there; I heard the word. I can't describe how intense is the screaming of never belonging, of being fat, of always hearing the Toad Head laugh at my exhaustion and stupidity. But I did go to the poetry.

Sometimes the high is as piercing as the pain.

twofeet

xsomewhatdamagedx: You really put a name on what I am feeling.

I tried the Avoidant Personality group on Big Tent. It is a joke; they are only there to get market information and advertising revenues. So I'm here.

flowers

Today I am feeling drippy because I joined a Suicide Forum and maybe I'm not "doing it right." Went in with my drawing class and the greens didn't mix right. Desperate feeling of wanting to cut, which I haven't done for years and years. What does a person supposed to do when the greens in her life don't mix right?

I can't describe how intense is the screaming of never belonging, of being fat, of always hearing the Toad Head laugh at my exhaustion and stupidity. But I did go to the poetry.
If this is the suicide forum you think you are not "doing it right", then I would disagree with you. I think you are doing fine here. I think that many people here experience intense screaming of never belonging etc. So it sounds like you are in the right place. Amongst many other people who feel the same way. I am glad you went to the poetry reading. I am sorry though that it was so painful. In my expereince of people, the bad thoughts we feel about ourselves is generally incorrect. Having said that, I know that the thoughts and belief patterns are very very painful and isolating. I hope you will continue to post at the SF. Because you are amonst people who feel very similarly. Finally you asked "What does a person supposed to do when the greens in her life don't mix right?" I could give you a pretty good answer. But I am not able to follow my own advice. The answer: maybe to try to not judge how the greens are mixing. :hug: :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00