Awful dream - meaning? Please.

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Lady Wolfshead, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usually my dreams are okay (or I have certain recurring frightening dreams), but last night I had a nightmare that seemed so personal.

It was this: I was in another country (same language) with a bunch of strangers. We were together in some kind of recreation hall or ? Someone pushed me deliberately and I pushed back (not something I would normally do BTW). The person fell back and was injured. Everyone then proceeded to torment/torture me in various ways, although I tried to explain the other person had pushed me and all I had done was reciprocate. I tried many times to escape.

I finally managed to escape, but something similar happened again with a different group, and I realized I was being "set up" and the person I hurt was not actually hurt. The torment they did to me was mentally awful and terrifying, such as dangling me over a central atrium from several floors up. And they physically tortured me but I didn't feel it (assuming because you don't feel that in dreams) so that part felt a bit unreal.

At the end of the dream I realized I had been part of a play about bullying, but instead of having a Q and A session, the bloodthirsty audience (including many young children) wanted to see me tormented more, and were throwing things at me. A few of my fellow castmates stood in front of me to protect me from missiles but for some reason they couldn't stay (I felt they too were getting a malicious pleasure from the torment) and I was once again exposed.

---------------

I should add that I was bullied as a child and this dream seemed so real other than the physical pain missing (and since I was a girl the bullying wasn't usually physical anyway). But the people bullying me during the "play" were adults.

Interpretations? I would sure love to hear them.

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Sounds like you are in a situation, maybe the work place? which has resurrected old feelings from the bullying days.
    The whole dream had a "powerlessness" to it, so maybe you are feeling powerless in real life?

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

sounds like you feel guilty for fighting back and defending yourself against others. I have that too. Dreams tend to reflect our subconscious. I know its hard, but you need to believe in yourself, trust and accept that you have the right to defend yourself and that it's okay too. You deserve to be respected so :)

that's my thought on it, so I hope it makes sense to you

4. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

two suggestions that have been given to me over the years in interpreting dreams:

1) you are every person in your dream.

2) look at the words you wrote down about your dream. circle the words that stick out most to you and then write what those words mean to you. you may find something in that.

sometimes these methods work, sometimes not.

5. Robodoc

Robodoc Member

Hi..!

Sometimes dreams are an indication of what concerns us...

6. OMG Terry - your kitty looks exactly like my previous kitty Oscar - long-haired tuxedo cat - except mine had a lopsided "moustache." He was the most affectionate kitty I ever met - I still miss him although he died several years ago.

Thanks for your input. I do feel powerless right now. Nobody at work is bullying me but upper management is bullying us all so maybe...

7. Thanks morning rush - I appreciate hearing I have the right to defend myself! In my real life it would be verbal or emotional rather than physical (I hope!).

8. Wow, I really like 1 - that is very helpful. I always think most of us (especially with depression) are more cruel to ourselves than most others (especially if they knew our whole situation etc) would be, and so am I. But there is definitely a part of me that tries to speak up on my behalf. I do think some of "cast" may represent external forces as well.

I will have to try 2 as well.

Thanks for that!

9. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

you are most welcome. hope it helps! :topsy_turvy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.