Baby Ethan :(

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ~PinkElephants~, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I vowed to myself that I wouldn't make a post again that wasn't in my member's diary. I told myself that I wouldn't simply because it seemed so pointless. Not many people respond to them so it's like why put forth the effort, but tonight my heart is completely breaking in two.

Most of you know that my younger brother had a baby back in December named Ethan. He's healthy by all means necessary, normal weight, length, etc. There might be one slight problem though. My brother and his girlfriend noticed a bump protruding from his lower back so when they went to go to his next check up they mentioned it to the doctor. The doctor is now sending them on this coming Monday to the local children's hospital to get an ultrasound because they think Ethan might have Spina Bifida.

Spina bifida is basically latin meaning split spine.It is a developmental anomaly characterized by defective closure of the bony encasement of the spinal cord through which the spinal cord and meninges may or may not protrude.

Here is a bit of the article about it:

Spina bifida is a disabling birth defect of the spinal column resulting from the failure of the spinal column to close properly during the first month of pregnancy. In severe cases, the spinal cord protrudes through the back. The condition may cause varying degrees of paralysis and loss of feeling in the lower limbs, and bowel and bladder complications.

Spina bifida occulta is a usually harmless form of spina bifida in which there is a small defect or gap in a few of the small bones (vertebrae) that make up the spine. The spinal cord and nerves are usually normal, and most affected individuals have no problems caused by this minor abnormality.

Meningocele is the rarest form of spina bifida in which a cyst or lump consisting of membranes surrounding the spinal cord pokes through the open part of the spine. The spinal cord and the nerves are usually normal. The cyst, which can be as small as a nut or as large as a grapefruit, can be removed by surgery, allowing the baby to develop normally.

Meningomyelocele is the most severe form of spina bifida. In this form, the cyst holds nerve roots of the spinal cord and often the cord itself. Or there may be no cyst, but only a fully exposed section of the spinal cord and nerves. Spinal fluid may leak out, and the area often is covered with sores. Affected babies are at high risk of infection until the back is closed surgically. In spite of surgery, varying degrees of leg paralysis and bladder and bowel control problems remain.

I'm hoping on Monday they get good news and that Ethan is perfectly fine and 100%
  2. tintin

tintin Guest

Wishing you the best of luck hun

Let us all know.

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Kells i really hope it comes back with good news, you know where i am if you wanna talk. we're on skype atm and i hope your'll come on in a bit. I'll be thinking about you and your family through this difficult time.
  4. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

fuck this

poor baby :sad:

in my thoughts. i hope all's fine :hug:
  5. ~PinkElephants~

Thank you Becca, Vikks and Rae. Means alot.

I can't think straight. It's not right if he does and it doesn't help I'm pessimistic about everything. Always doom and gloom. I can't think nahh everything's gonna be fine.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:sad: I hope the tests come back negative. Bless him :hug:

I'm here if you need to talk x
  7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Damn, Kellz, I'm sorry. :sad: Hoping everything comes back fine. :hug:
  8. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Here's hoping things are ok. There seems to be a lot of possibilities as to the extremity of his condition. The waiting to find out is really hard to take. I know one thing. His incredibly fortunate to have an aunty like you whatever the outcome may be :hug:
  9. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

i wish you the best for you and Ethan. wish i had too ,such ppl that cared and worried so much for me too.
  10. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

kells, i can completely understand your worry about this, but its not that abd if it does turn out to be the worst.

you find that you just adapt, and it becomes the norm. i found this when i got my brpther checked when i first noticed his epileptuc fits starting. you just get on with it, you have to.

in regards to spina bifida, if ethan has been kicking and moving his legs for the past year, it wont be worst case scenario, and there will most likely be something they can do for him.

:hug: i hope everything id fine though. everyone wuld rather be healthy, right?
  11. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Beaks just told me to send you her love and that shes thinking of you x
  12. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Thinking of you Kells, I hope y'all get good news on Monday :hug:
  13. ~PinkElephants~

Thanks everyone. Muchly appreciated. I mean that whole heartedly. I will give updates on Monday or Tuesday when results come back.
  14. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I hope that whatever it turns out to be it will be nothing that harms his quality of life. No child deserves to have to overcome medical difficulties.
  15. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  16. ~PinkElephants~

what part of the english language don't you understand.
    Is it the stay word? the out word? the my word? or the posts word?
    Translation...stay out of my posts?!!! How damn hard is that?

I know you have some sick and twisted fascination with me and my threads. Your game is old. People have caught on that you like to get a rise out of me. Well, it doesn't work anymore.

THis is why you're still on fao because you cant seem to abide by the rules. By simply staying away from my posts you'd get off sooner.

The problem with you dave is youre the reason I don't create threads where people can reply anymore. You make it difficult for me to find support from others because I feel under attack by you constantly even if you're posts are deemed "sweet and nice" we all know your intentions. I don't create threads dave because of this. You claim to be supportive and helpful and all knowledgable, but the problem is there's 4000 other members on this site. I've asked you 4000 times to leave me alone. Why not go bug the 4000 other members that want support and help and just leave me alone.
  17. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

thinking of you and ethan x
  18. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

when will you know more for certain? and what are the options for
    treatment? I am sorry to sound cold and calculating about it. I am not.
    it's the only way I know to respond to things I cannot control.
    anyway, what's the latest?
  19. ~PinkElephants~

right now they don't go for an ultrasound until Monday at 1pm. They are going to call me when things are all said and done.

From what Cass is telling me the bump isn't a bump. It looks like excess skin that forms to a point. The doctors/nurses never noticed it until cass pointed it out.

Will know for sure on Monday.
    Thanks for caring
  20. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

so then, it may not be as bad as was thought possible a few days ago?
    did I read that right? if so, then that is good news. thanks for letting me