Back again.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Ljt, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Hi, it's been a long time since I was on this page.
    Things were going good and then I started to forget to take my medication and the. I just thought I don't need it anymore.

Now I am bouncing off the walls. Back on that slippery slope again.
    So here I am back again

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome back my friend. We are here for YOU.

electricalanomaly and Ljt like this.
  3. electricalanomaly

electricalanomaly too sad to say hi.

4. GildedFlowers

GildedFlowers Lost Realist

Hello Ljt,

Before anything, everything I say is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

I don't know what clasification of medication it was that you were taking, but the biggest thing to keep in mind. Is to mention to your doctor the stabilization of your condition. He will know the timeline of how long you have been taking medication and if the condition appears or is refractory.

That just means if it is reoccurring and resistant to concurrent treatments. Next would be a medication's half life which is the amount of time for half of the drug to leave your body. Some have long half lives and others much shorter. It's the half lives that will determine how long until you will begin to suffer withdrawal syndromes.

Almost every single medication must be titrated upwards when starting and downwards when coming off. The saying is start low and go slow. Regular depression, if caught soon and treated quickly. Can be eliminated with antidepressants in 12 to 16 months.

However, my friend, other than anxiety disorders, many mental health conditions are forever and must be *treated*. The medication we take is no cure, we can only blunt and hibernate these illnesses.

A common mistake is with antidepressants when people aren't told that it can take 2-6 weeks for the antidepressant to reach maximum efficiency. Like an oven, it's gradual, but people aren't always aware of withdrawal symptoms either. So just like an oven when you find the right medication and dosage it will stabilize.

We often think that it's like Tylenol and we can stop taking it when we don't hurt. But it isn't, just like an oven when you turn it off and Keep it closed it will still stay warm, but gradually it will no longer be. Leaving the food in there undercooked which is why we don't turn the oven off once it reaches the right temperature.

It's just such a disservice that doctors don't relay all of that information. But mental illness is not their study of expertise. Jack of all trades, master of none. Only a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner can give you the treatment plan you need. But they're becoming a rarity, so hang in there.

Good luck!

Petal likes this.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Excellent post @GildedFlowers very informative and useful, helpful advice for those suffering from withdrawal.

To the OP. Welcome back to the forum and I really hope things take a turn for the better soon, we are all in this together :)