Back from the doctors

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ali-wali, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ali-wali

    ali-wali Well-Known Member

    I was so nervous about going, I went last year and I felt like the doctor didn't believe me, like I was some attention seeking teen I guess, he gave me counselling though but it didn't help me just made me worse...
    Today though, my mum came with me and she can explain me better than I can explain me. He gave some anti depressants, the same ones my mum was on for 2 years. But he said he's going to refer me to a specialist? I told him about how scared I am when it's dark and that I feel like someones watching me all the time. What do the specialists do? I don't understand I didn't want to ask the doctor because I felt abit stupid not understanding.
  2. Sadeyes

    Sadeyes Staff Alumni

    Hi glad you went to see the doctor..not sure what kind of specialist but I am sure that with your mother there you will get good care...please keep taking care of yourself and big hugs, J
  3. aoeu

    aoeu Well-Known Member

    A specialist (likely a psychiatrist) will know a lot more about how to help you. Prescribing you a general-purpose antidepressant is about the limit of what a family doctor can do and that's not much more useful than treating uncomplicated mild-to-moderate depression.

    You're probably a good candidate for benzos which are great for panic attacks and similar, but a regular doctor won't prescribe them in most cases on account of addiction etc., preferring to refer you to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist may also be able to give you a more suitable antidepressant or anxiolytic or other drug therapy, as well as provide information on psychotherapy which is good for irrational fears (such as of the dark or paranoia).

    Most people on this forum have been referred to a psychiatrist, it's nothing to be alarmed about and can help you plenty.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.