Bad day at the Job Centre

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by snarrylover, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I had a really bad day today. The people at the job centre treated me like a naughty child instead of a 25 year old woman. They accused me of not applying to enough jobs, not doing enough searches, and gave me a warning.

I don't know what to do about it. I search like crazy for a job! I need work to get me out of the house and give me something to do. I need the money to get my own place. I've even started applying for jobs that normally I wouldn't consider. But the guys there don't seem to realise how difficult any of that is. I couldn't do anymore than what I am doing.

At first I was angry and annoyed, but it's really getting to me now and I'm so upset about it. If they knew anything about me they would know that I am trying so hard to find a job, so being told that they think I'm not doing enough and putting me on a warning is really hurtful. Honestly, they spoke to me like I was nothing and now I'm really struggling to get over it. It's completely shaken my confidence.

Anyone experienced similar things?
  2. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Don't know what the system is like these days but suspect they have boxes to tick. It may be that you need to show evidence of X number of jobs applied for. Or you could turn the tables and ask for help looking for , applying et al. I'm sure you don't need that but it looks good and it may tick another one of their boxes. Sorry you had such a bad day. Hope you get lucky and find word. Sadly these days having the experience, qualifications etc doesn't mean you get the job.
  3. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should print off a list of all the jobs you've applied for thats online and then regularly write down the others, that way you have so much proof
  4. Theodora

Skinnylove, don't you sign on? What is the system?
  5. snarrylover

They've seen proof, they just don't believe it. I think they think I'm making it up. The woman showed me a list of sales assistant jobs on the website and told me to apply for them all. When I got home I looked them up - half of them I can't even get to because of early morning/late night shifts, and the other half were less than 16 hour contracts. I don't know what she wants me to do about that.

The guy I normally see is fine with what I'm doing - he knows I've had therapy and he understands there are some jobs I'm uncomfortable with. So to have this woman I've never spoken to before tell me I'm not doing enough and to apply to everything really upsets me.
  6. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Really sorry you have had a tough day, they have to understand if you where to work you need a job that you are comfortable with, I am really sorry it has been rubbish, sigh they suck :(
  7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I have two prolapsed discs in my back, so of course the job centre moron suggested I do a job that involved heavy lifting :/

Sometimes I wonder how these peope got selected.

If she does this again, ask to see the supervisor and lodge an official complaint.

They are there to help not to belittle.
  8. snarrylover

Exactly! All they seem to care about is how many people they can throw into any job - they don't care at all about a person's emotional state and seem to think that people with injuries etc like yourself must be making it up. They should be there to help, not judge and make you feel under pressure.
  9. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I think it is a danger that many workers in public sector or social service type jobs must guard against. After so long of working with people - no small percentage of which are scammers- they tend to paint with a broad brush and assume that the others they are helping are also doing the same thing.
  10. cie

cie Banned Member

Similar thing in NZ, NYJmp ; They all just assume you're screwing them. :/

The problem is that they don't have mental health issues and they have no one there who has experience with it. I bring my therapist to appointments because when he introduces himself they see him as an authority over what I can and can't do and it takes a LOT of pressure off of me. It also gives you an air of legitimacy if an organisation is involved in your mental health rather than just you saying "oh yeah, i've got such and such and i can't do such and such".

Do you have someone similar you can bring to appointments?
  11. snarrylover

That is a very good idea, but no, I'm unable to do that. For one thing, I no longer see my therapist. And even if I did, the most he'd do was write a note for me to bring in as proof. But the guy I usually see knows all that - the woman I had to see on Friday didn't, wouldn't let me explain, and put me on a warning.

I have an appointment there on Monday though to see someone about intervieew technique, so I'm going to raise the issue there.

Thank you everyone for replying! :)
  12. Theodora

Good luck for Monday. I think it an excellent idea to raise the issue. I wonder if your particular needs could be put on your file so that an incident like this doesn't happen again. Or if you have to see someone unfamiliar you can refer them to the file. I know it'll be a something on a website not a file.
  13. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Good luck I hope it goes well
  14. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I hope today goes well for you. Here in US it is a real problem if while getting benefits you stop care from therapist or Dr -- they use the fact you are not currently receiving treatment to justify denial or cessation of benefits. Always the first thing I recommend to people having issues getting benefits is to make sure they can verify are under care or treatment for the condition causing the need.....

Hopefully they will be able to provide support instead of stress today! Fingers crossed for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.