Bad Dreams

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by jeannate, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeannate

jeannate Active Member

When I was a kid I was abused by both my father and grandfather, both sexually and physically. I notice I get these dreams reoccurring frequently. It is as if I am reliving the abuse, but the things that occur in the dreams are not exactly like the events in my real life. It is more like they mimic the fear and the uncertainty of that time. I notice I have a tendency to have these dreams more when I am feeling insecure about something. When I feel strong and in control I rarely have these dreams. However, I haven't felt that way in a long time so I have been having many of these dreams wake me up, and then I can't fall asleep again. So I have gotten in a pattern where I am sleeping during the day now. I am not sure why, but the dreams don't seem to bother me when I rest in the daytime. I am not sure what the reason is behind that either.

Is this a symptom of Post Traumatic Stress or is it my depression? I was never diagnosed with PTSD. I have severe depression and they possibly think I am Bipolar II. That is different than what most people think of Bipolar. I do not have manic phases. I swing between feeling somewhat normal and then feeling severely depressed quite quickly. I will be feeling stable and normal and suddenly something comes over me and makes me want to kill myself. I am being treated for both problems. I wish there was some way I could cope with the dreams. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop these dreams or help myself feel more empowered while I am having them? I never really talked to my therapist (when I was seeing one) about it so I never really got any ideas to help me with them. Any help any of you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i heard if you change the dream up in your mind before you go to sleep then when you sleep the dream changes to what you thought about. I heard it works you change whatever you want in the dream make your brain think of it before you sleep and bingo your dream will turn into what you thought
    try it let me know how it works okay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.