bad, repulsive skin... any tips?

Discussion in 'Appearance and Body Image (New Forum)' started by DatAlgorithm, Jun 16, 2016.

1. DatAlgorithm

DatAlgorithm Well-Known Member

I've been suffering from body acne (thanks DAD!) for all my adult years and it's made me look repulsive and it hurts like hell actually and I won't even take my shirt off in public unless I absolutely have to (for health reasons like getting sufficient vitamin D but I don't overdo it) and even still I do it reluctantly and dread it because I've been picked on (pun not intended) for it and women find me repulsive of course (doubled with the fact I'm piss-poor, a misfit and practically a midget.) I've done everything I can; short of taking accutane or sebum steroids. I eat healthier than anyone I know besides my mom, have been getting lots more sleep lately, exercise more than regularly including cardio, shower VERY frequently at LEAST every day, don't smoke, don't drink, RARELY drink coffee or energy drinks, severely cut down on dairy and I don't even drink milk anymore, tried all sorts of creams, soaps, ... while I know people who don't take care of themselves, drink and smoke enough to kill a small elephant, don't shower and are insomniacs and their skin looks perfect... hell I even tried seeing a dermatologist... TOTAL waste of my time and money and just made the problem worse and made me hate the medical industry even more than I already do. I dream of being an actor (since entertaining people is the only piece of shit talent whatever fucked up evil repulsive fuckery created me) and this problem has crushed my dreams and any smidge of confidence I might have ever had. I think of suicide every single day because of this and most of my days are spent searching for methods and thinking of what to write in my suicide letter. I hate having gotten all the garbage genes from my damn selfish, over-indulgent, naive parents who should've just had my older brother and been happy they could have A child instead of feeling they needed another one simply "because everyone else does it."

Anyways, does anyone know of anything I can do or am I fucked (or not-fucked actually) and doomed to be a pizza-back for the rest of my worthless existence? Odd place to ask, but I'm desperate and just about ready to take the accutane plunge. I mean, I'm suicidal anyways and ready to die before 30, so it's not like I give a damn about the side effects anyways... but is there anything I might have missed?

frew likes this.
  2. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

I'm no doctor but what about some kind of hormone treatment or something to treat it from the inside?

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, DatAlgorithm.

I'm sorry the acne you have is making you feel so awful. I have found in life that we tend to see our own "flaws" as much worse than others see them.

I'm not a doctor and cannot suggest a treatment. I think maybe seeing a dermatologist again is in order. If you were much younger when you saw one before, the dermatologist might have thought you'd grow out of the worst of it. Some adults have lingering "growing up acne", so another trip to the dermatologist might be the ticket.

Some of the treatments for acne - even from a dermatologist - can TEMPORARILY make the condition (much) worse before it begins to get (and look) better. Accutane is known for making the skin irritated and the acne worse for a while. As well, there are definite side effects from Accutane that need to be monitored while a person is on it.

Sometimes the doctor and patient need to try different things - antibiotics, topical treatments, Accutane - the doctor will know which make the most sense for your situation. Any treatment for acne takes a while to kick in, get rid of it, then maintain clear skin for a while before the patient stops the treatment. It could take weeks to months for improvement.

Maybe see a dermatologist again and explain how the acne is affecting you and the impact it's having on your sense of achieving your dreams.

You are not alone. Let us know how things go.

Kira75 likes this.
  4. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

I seem to be in the same boat as you are. Have you tried using body wash for acne-prone skin? Just curious as to what that has done for you or might do for you.
    To second that, I've been using acne treatments in the form of facial cleansers and body wash for 7 months and I'm just now seeing improvement, but not enough improvement yet to say that this really works for me. They apparently work really well for a good number of people, but I'm a more challenging case I suppose.

If you haven't tried acne body wash and whatnot, I suggest giving it a try.

5. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Have you looked into laser / light treatments for it? I have a friend who had awful cystic acne all over her face, neck and chest - really really painful for her - and she had laser treatments and you would never guess she ever had it now.

6. Flaxney

Flaxney Well-Known Member

My advice is to stop washing all non-private areas of your body with soap entirely, and decrease the amount of showers that you take. Soap only washes away essential oils from the skin, which dries out your skin and increases sebum production. Excess showering does this as well, you only really need to shower if you are especially sweaty. You might also try some sort of salicylic acid solution to unclog your pores. Also switch to a water based moisturiser, that does not clog pores and cause acne.

Kira75, frew, Topz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Helen Miller

Helen Miller New Member

Hello there, I suggest you to consult a dermatologist. He will help you in getting rid of skin problems.

8. Helen Miller

Helen Miller New Member

Hello there, I suggest you to consult a dermatologist. He will help you in getting rid of skin problems.

9. taniababy

taniababy Member

Hi Dat - what is the update on your condition? Completely cutting out dairy and sugar should make a difference fairly quickly. Someone mentioned lasering this is defo the most successful treatment and you may be able to get it on the NHS. Sending hugs.

10. DatAlgorithm

DatAlgorithm Well-Known Member

it's back with a vengeance and I'm ready to fucking die.

11. taniababy

taniababy Member

I'm so sorry. Have you tried all of the suggestions including looking into lasering

12. Serein

Serein SF Supporter

13. frew

frew Member

To add to this, I've heard good things about the 'oil cleansing method' (Google it). Although it does seem very counter intuitive I know, but it does seem to work for a lot of people. It relies on the idea that excessively washing the oils from your skin causes your body to produce more oils as response. Also there's a chemical principle 'like dissolves like', which means that washing your bad skin with oil gets all of the oil out of your pores.

You might want to try anti-biotics if you haven't already, that worked well for me. Or Accutane, it is very effective.

14. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

What have you tried and how long have you stuck with that method to give it time to work?

15. Please don't feel alone. Im suffering with skin issues and feel like you do. My problem is not acne though and its my face. I cant hide it with make up as my skin texture is well just like looking at a freak. Only narrow minded people would be put off by your acne. I had a boyfriend years and years ago with severe acne on his face and it didn't bother me in the slightest. My now boyfriend of 14 years had acne on his back when we first met and that didn't repulse me in the slightest. I know its easy for me to say this to you as i have people telling me i have nothing to worry about and i dont listen or believe them but you need to know that your not alone. Dermatologists in the uk are hard to get reffered on the NHS and we have very little choice on top of that the prices are just comepletley out of reach. What is it like where you live? Acne.org (sorry if im not allowed to post that) is full of information and people in the same boat which can be reassuring when you feel so alone. I believe there are millions of us out there suffering with our skin issues but the only reason we dont see them is because we are all so down that we dont go out.