Badly cracked, dried up hands

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by lostpuppet, Jul 5, 2008.

1. lostpuppet

lostpuppet Member

I'm only 21 I've got really badly cracked, dried up hands which are the result of wearing gloves at my old work for 4 years. The gloves had this white powder in them which helped them stick to your hands. Anyway, it has been about 3 years since I last wore them but my hands don't seem to have healed one bit and I'm worried that they never will. Right now my hands sometimes look like the hands of a 40-50 year old. I try to ignore it and fight off any depression that comes along but it is really hard when you see everyone else around you with normal looking hands.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which hand creams I should be using and what food (if any) might help. I'm currently using a basic moisturizing cream and I'm trying to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day.

Also, please forgive me if I sound selfish because I guess my problem doesn't even compare to what others are going though on this site.
  2. posted in EXACTLY the right thread...! :smile:

That's what it's HERE for!

Yeah - chemical crap can wreak havoc on your skin. Drinking lots of water like you do IS a good thing, could even be a bit more. I use this cream called "Uremol" (I'm diabetic and so need something very effective, yet appropriate for me feet). It contains Urea (do I need to explain what it is? it is NOT gross!). Urea has long been used for instance on cow udders (the milkers) to keep them supple, as well as other uses. Ask your pharmacist for a cream that contains it (mine's 20%). It's NOT a prescription - and mine's off-the-shelf - but he/she might know best. (and FYI - it is DEFINITELY "unscented"!! :wink:)

It DOES cost a little more, but it also goes a long way. I suppose it'd be swell if there was one that ALSO contained Vitamin E as well as Aloe Vera (for healing properties) - but this stuff is pretty damned good! :smile:
  3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Are you in the UK? Go to your GP or a doctor and show them your hands. You seem to have had an allergic reaction to that white powder perhaps? Maybe it'd be good to see a dermatologist too? I've never had to but have had dry skin for ages and have had bad excema on my hands as a child but only have dry skin now but my hands do look aged.

Right now, I have to use creams with a very high oil content, very high based paraffin stuff. Which is 50% soft paraffin 50% liquid paraffin and I've recently got something called Unguentum Merck which is something i used as a child. There are moisturisers out there that you will find useless because of their lack of oil in them. You'll find you need to put these creams on many times a day, especially after you've washed your hands.

Other options are getting any kind of medium-oil-based cream and mixing drops of Glycerin into that and rubbing them on your hands. Glycerin is good when mixed with cream I have to do that anyway especially in the winter.

Vaseline is good too (100% paraffin).

Try and use gentle/moisturising handwash like carex and things that won't dry out your skin, no perfume stuff, no alcohol stuff. Or you could get paraffin kind of handwash that you can put on but you need to get that on prescription (or you can get it from the chemist but it's expensive- the brands are Oilatum, Eucerin but if you're in the UK, it's worth getting anything on prescription)

Use gloves when washing up. I don't do this but people have told me to do this for years...

Foods- again, it'd be good to see a doctor to ascertain whether this is an allergic reaction or you have dry skin anyway, if you have dry skin things like high oil food (omega, olive oil, essential fatty acids, beta carotene) things like that, are good.

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this because of that white powder on your gloves. I know dried cracked up hands are very painful..
  4. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Highly highly reccomend you smothering your hands in Aqueous Cream *cheap, for a big tub* and putting on a pair of cotton gloves before you go to bed. Sleep in the gloves, take them off the next day and voila. Also, lemon juice is very good for cracked, dry hands, as is Neutrogena hand cream - in fact, Neutrogena hand cream is the only thing that has cleared up my cracked hands!!!!

Hope this all helps :)

Mel xx
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Aqueous does nothing for me...and lemon juice?! Doesn't that sting? :unsure:

That glove thing I had to do when I was a child though. Otherwise I'd wake up with bleeding hands.