Barack Obama Nobel prize winner

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I didn't see a thread and thought it would be a good conversation starter, as probably everyone heard Barack Obama won the nobel peace prize, and many are wondering why. Personally I think he deserves it, granted he hasen't accomplished as much as some previous winners but his words inspired hope in a generation and he won an american election based on a platform of peace. I don't see a problem with the decision but apparently others do.
  2. Menchi

Menchi Well-Known Member

I have two takes on this really. The first is that he is a great guy, and is trying to do so much good for the US, whether or not his decisions are popular, as well as trying to do better for the world.
    The other is that he has only been in a position to do it for under a year. There are so many others in the world who have spent so much longer trying for these things (though i can't name any off the top of my head), that awarding obama for what he aims to do, rather than what others have done, seems a bit... political.

Its not a bad choice, but i don't think he has done enough, yet, to deserve it, though he is on the right track for it, to earn it as his term in office continues.
  3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

He's still sanctioning a war in Afghanistan! How in God's name can he be given a peace prize???
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Being from Europe I'm not exposed to any Obama spin and the only time we here anything from him is when he introduces a significant change of policy.
    (FYI - This means we here VERY VERY little)

All this man has done is carry on Bushes policies in regard to the war, involving the establishment of permanent military bases in Iraq capable of housing thousands of US Military "Advisors" and called for the increase in the number of troops in Afghanistan from both America and its Allies.
    Not to mention the bombing of villages on the Pakistani border.

In the meanwhile. organisations like the Red Cross are spread over the world issuing aid to people who need it because of hunger, government oppression, civil wars e.t.c.e.t.c.

Now ask yourself, why the fuck, could you possible conceive, that this man being given the Noble fucking PEACE prize could possibly be found offensive by anyone.

Edit - A little extract from a conversation with my friend on this topic.

Issaccs says:
    Has been given
    [Mitch] If you don't have anything nice to say, join the club says:
    what for

Need I say more?
    And in response to him only having been in power a year.
    Check Roosevelts first hundred days.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Actually the final cut off for electing the person for the peace prize was ONE MONTH AFTER OBAMA WAS IN OFFICE!!!! It is clearly a political move to try to urge obama to pull troops out of Afganistan.
  6. Issaccs

True enough, plus arn't candidates short listed months before that cut off too.
  7. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

So what has he done exactly to merit the Noble Peace prize??? I can think of more worthy winners than someoine who is over hyped to the last degree
  8. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

The nomination deadline for the Nobel Peace Prize was February 1. This was barely 2 weeks into his presidency. Now could someone tell me what Obama accomplished in a less then two week period of time of Presidency, that would explain this momentous nomination?? Did Obama deserve to beat out Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.
  9. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

If being a motivational speaker was the main criteria for winning noble peace prize, then there are many other people who would qualify.
  10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

This award has devalued the Nobel Peace Prize. I was taught as a kid this is a recognition of hard work of many years toward a goal that benefits others.
  11. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Well, it must be the amount of work he has done outside of his presidency. Though, I imagine there are many more people who are deserving. Then again, I don't even know what specific good things he has done for humanity, and I don't even have any specific people who should have won.
    It's kinda easy to show some distaste for his achievement, perhaps if we dislike it so much, we should speak of the people whom we believe were better candidates for this award.
    At the end of the day, it's an achievment of a positive nature, lets bring something positive of our own.

I got nothing though :huh: but I'm disconnected from everything
  12. Issaccs

Morgan Tsvangirai
  13. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Wht's the friggin problem with Obama winning this award?

He's closed down the torture center at Guantanamo Bay

He's made huge strides and changed the image of the U.S. around the world by meeting with many of the leaders of Europe, gaining respect that the previous president destroyed.

He gave an amazing speech regarding a new U.S. outlook as it pertains to the muslim world in general

He's made attempts and has been successful in talking with the Russian leaders about toning down the nuclear arsenal.

He's toned down the war-like rhetoric in dealing with North Korea and Iran

He recently made a decision not to send another 40-50 thousand troops to Afghanistan. (yes, we are still there...and I think it's a mistake to stay...but he didn't start it, Bush least there is some hope that he might end it...not likely but possible)

He's agreed to remove the missile defense system in Czhechoslovakia

So what's the problem...that he hasn't brought all war on the planet to a standstill?

There have been of people who have won this prize for their 'efforts' to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict...yet the situation there is the same

The guys not a miracle worker...but he's made strides not seen for many years
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  14. pit

pit Well-Known Member

How can we not be at war when we got nuts from the Taliban and Al Quaida constantly threatening our lives? We gotta kill these terrorists.
  15. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Indeed. I hope every person responsible for this - especially the chairman of the Norweigan Nobel committee Thorbjørn Jagland - steps down. The whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Obama is just a lying scumbag that is little different from Bush. Great, now he'll also have this to use as a means to brainwash even more useless fucks into thinking he has brought "change" to the US. They had countless other people to choose from - Zimbabwian opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai who through peaceful means has managed to dramatically lessen the power of Zimbabwe's dictator Robert Mugabe - Chinese human rights activist Hu Jia (who has been in house arrest for years, just for speaking his mind about China's oppression) - Greg Mortenson that was mentioned in another post - and many more - but instead they chose this shithead after he only had been less than two weeks into the presidency. It's completely idiotic and the people who chose him should be ashamed and voluntarily step down
  16. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Two interesting points on this I heard by an analyst on BBC Radio 4 yesterday -

1. More Afghan civilians have died in the last 9 months of Obama's presidency than in all of Bush's time.

2. Yasser Arafat (Palestine) and Yitzhak Rabin or Shimon Peres (I can't remember which but both from Israel) were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, and as we know lasting peace in those areas has not happened at all.
  17. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

So what if he got it, like i give a damn about it? Its political decission anyway...
  18. pit

pit Well-Known Member

How can you make an omelet without breaking any eggs? So what.
  19. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

OK :blink: but the point was in relation to him winning a peace prize. Everyone knows people die in wars.
  20. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I think the intentions were good deep down, but misguided and naive. Obama was barely president for 2 weeks before he was chosen as a winner. It's obvious that this award was intended to encourage Obama to see through his promises and to break from the nearly decade long period of unilateralism, warmongering, and hypocrisy (as far as many people in the world saw it) under Bush.

Not at all what the Nobel Prize was intended to do though =P At least the money will be going to charity! XD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.