Bariatric surgery for weight loss and eating disorders?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mordeci, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

My therepist keeps recomending surgery for my weight loss and over eating, in particular a Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery, which is when a inflatible and adjustable silicon band is put around the stomach to create a new smaller stomach pouch so only a small amount of food and liquid can be taken in at a time. does this seem like a good idea or too extreme, I am looking for honest feedback?

2. jhhop

jhhop Well-Known Member

I had a bariatric proceedure a few years ago. Mine was to disconnect 95% of my stomach and 12-15 feet of small intestine.
    I was almost 400 lbs at the time, I lost 125 lbs the first 9 months after surgery. Ultimately I lost about 175 lbs. This is a very life changing proceedure. Please think of all of the changes you will experience= from your cloths not fitting, to how people see you, to what you can eat, to getting ill from eating the wrong foods. All in all I'm glad I did it but now have started putting weight back on and that scares me. I have to redouble me efforts to lose weight again and keep it off.

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

the thing about that kind of surgery...is that you also need to eat well, be on a healthy diet otherwise within years you will regain your weight...also if you lose weight too fast, you'll get flab of skin that wont go away unless you get surgery...the way to not get those flab of skin, would be to do exercise at the gym...you should research it on the internet as well to make sure thats what you want...

to be honest, I thought of doing that, but I heard lots of bad thing about it so...I know someone who did it, she lost the weight but after a year she started gaining back the weight so...

the stomach might be small for a while, but it ends up re-growing as you eat...

hope this helps a little...

4. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I know a mother and a daughter who did this 5 years ago, and I have only just met them and they are obese. They told me there are some foods they can't eat, but then if they really want them they just eat them slower.

5. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Thanks for the feedback I think I am going to go for it.

6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Seems pretty extreme to me unless you were like 100-150 overweight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.