becoming a photographer

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by aki, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aki

aki Well-Known Member

hey, this is kind of random, but um yeah :unsure: It's just that I've been thinking of becoming a photographer 'when I grow up' :)rolleyes:)
    Does anyone know how I might able to do that, any tips or anything. I don't really want to go to college because I hate exams and all the pressure. But that might be the only way to do it...I don't know.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Dazzle(catherine) is a photographer. She will probably know :)

Sorry I don't know :hug:
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Do you have an eye for photography? It is amazing how people can take shots of the same thing and how different they can turn out.
  4. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I think I do :unsure: maybe I'll post some, I don't really know if I do.
  5. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Your idea sounds great!

Getting started shouldn't be much. Get some reasonably cheap camera (100-200 bucks) and go out and start snapping pictures. The internet is full of tutorials and the torrent sites have tons of photography textbooks and editing software.
  6. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

I know 3 pro photographers. One has a degree in it from a well respected 'red brick' university the other two are self taught. Only one is successful. One looks down their nose at all 'cos of their 1st photo degree (and had the cheek to lambast the staff at their last exhibition when they sold not a bean). One behaves like a 'photographer', dresses like what they think a 'photographer' looks like and whinges that they can't afford to buy the next 'best' camera (because they sell no photo's). The other has real drive determination and works their **** off. I'll let you guess who is the succesful one. IT'S A TOUGH GAME. Even with the technology available these days you must have a real understanding of the technnicalities of photography (in my view) to have a chance. Please note the successful guy is self taught!

For what it's worth here is my subjective advice. Go and get your self a 2nd hand manual 35mm S.L.R. (a pentax K1000, Olympus or a nice old Nikon if your purse can stretch to it would be perfect) and a 50mm 1.8 lense for it (get a Pentax/Olympus/Nikon one the quality of an image depends on the lense, old lenses are great as they are made of glass and 50 1.8 is the best standard ignore all the zoom lenses for know they degrade the image) and an old 'how to book'.

Also check the mirrors in camera and lense for mould on the glass, (you can do this easily It'll be clear to the naked eye if you hold the lense up to the light and look through it when it's off the camera, this is a big problem in older kit so don't get ripped off. If you see any crap inside the lense don't buy it!) On the plus side all this gear should be real cheap as technology has moved on you can get really good kit for peanuts.
    If you learn with this stuff you'll get a real understanding of photography, depth of field, speeds, manual focusing etc; and you'll be able to get 2nd hand kit to develop your own photo's where you can manipulate the image by hand which is a cool thing to do.

Of course you can just go and buy a digital S.L.R straight away and have it do it all for you (many would advise you to do that, I'm tempted to myself but it's too easy to turn on the 'auto' button after all we're all human!) but do it the old way and you'll have all the nuts and bolts down pat and then you'll be able to use a modern digital S.L.R to its full potential.............. It's up to you I only post this for your consideration, I've been out the game for a long time and you can probably get better advice!
    Sorry to go on for so long but you did ask! oh and I used to sell new and used cameras and take a few pics so it's not completely off the top of my head.
    Phew, I'm done.....good luck!
  7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

thanks long! that was so helpful! I'd like to do it the proper way I think. I have a digital camera but I'd like to learn how to use a normal camera as well, and as you said, it will help me more in the end. just out of interest, do you think this would be ok:|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318 (I looked for the pentax k1000 on ebay). thanks again for you advice!

thank you jonstark as well for your encouragement. I've had a look at a few how-tos but I'm not very technical so its hard going, but I know should so I'll try harder hehe. thanks for your advice and kind words.
  8. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Hey ripper ty for reply....The camera and lens looks good but of course it's impossible to tell 'til you have it in your hand (ref the mould I was banging on about you'll want to check the shutter has a nice snap to it as well and that the shutter speeds are working, pop it on self timer to check that). Problems arise when these cameras aren't stored with silica gel packets to stop the damp getting to them, I've even seen bugs living in and feeding on 'em! It may well be worth a punt but if you go for a private sale locally you can check the goods before you buy and if you get one 2nd hand from an old school camera shop you should get a short guarantee on it ( I used to give 3 months) but you may well have to pay a little extra of course. I think overall my advice is hang fire and make sure you get something really good.....but please don't let that dampen your enthusiasm, there will be excellent kit out there for peanuts!
  9. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any second hand camera shops where I live...I'll ask around. You're right, its risky sometimes to buy things like that online. Thanks again for your advice. My dad has a camera but I don't know if it's a good it's a proper, big camera, loads of buttons and dials (sorry don't know the proper name for them) but it might not be suitable. Would it be ok if I can pm you when I get the model of it, to ask you if you know anything about it?
  10. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

I have been doing photography as a hobby for now but want to become a pro. Im actually waiting and going to be taking a full-time 2 year course in september if things go well (or if i live till then). I just know the full time course id be taking is def great because the teacher has taught some night courses ive taken and he definately teaches what is needed and the right things to know to be successful. But i guess it all depends on the college and teacher. Again, that's just what im doing. For a camera though i just have the basic Pentax K100D.
  11. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

same reasons i hate school; lol.
  12. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

pm any time with make and model.
  13. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Good luck with it all. I want to run my own photography shop when i'm older. So i have the same passion as you do. I wish you all the luck and if i can think of any tips or advice to aid you i will pm you!€
  14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

How'd you manage to develop film without a darkroom, don't you need a darkroom to do that?

as for ripper's question, what do you want to do? Express yourself, experiment, have fun, or create 'successful pictures' to sell?

There's different types of photography out there. Photographers who are generally designers-working for companies, photojournalists, fine artists (again though, they could selling within a certain framework/for a gallery, or working very independently and their photos are part of their very own personal process and work across loads of fields- I'm pretty much like this, I use collage a lot ), photographers who are generally taking photos to sell, to whoever- magazines and pursuing a certain type of 'success'.

There are also different types of courses out there: there will be ones that will give you a taste of SLR cameras (manual ones) without any exams. I'd just suggest like long, getting a cheap manual SLR (there are loads about) and a book describing things like aperture, shutter speed, depth of field and loads of film and just play around with it (a tripod is also helpful in low light too). :smile:

There are courses that are 'arty' and theoretical.
    There are courses that are very focused on technique and the mechanics.

Do you just want to enjoy yourself? From experience, a lot of enjoyment goes out if you're worried too much about 'doing it right'. Just play and enjoy yourself. And who knows further down the line you might figure out what you'd like to do.
  15. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

1. you need an SLR camera... preferably one with different lenses included
    2. you need to experiment and figure out your style
    3. get inspired - is FULL of other people's photography, have a look.. see if you think it's a good idea to get into it
    4. have fun :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.