Becoming Addicted To Nicotine?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ~Nobody~, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

... or just the act of smoking?

I smoke now much more than I used to. Not actually that much but I certainly can't say I only do it socially.

It's definitely a form of self harm for me. But it also calms me down (or at least I feel like it does). And I use it to pace my drinks (pathetic way of trying to control my alcoholism I know, but still).

Is this a big problem?

Any opinions very welcome, ~Nobody~

2. crzykidshanana

crzykidshanana Well-Known Member

Were you weaned too early? A lot of times when babies are weaned too early they can develop oral fixations, thus the desire for cigarettes n' drinking. These people often chew on pens, chew gum, drink a lot of liquids, etc.

I am orally fixated. I used to smoke. I used to drink.

I also am ridiculously driven to stop bad habits when they become too overwhelming.

Smoking started to make my throat hurt. (or, perhaps I convinced myself that it did) so I stopped.

Drinking began to make me ridiculously depressed days later. (or, once again, perhaps I just convinced myself)

Regardless, it's all about what you want to do for yourself...and convincing yourself that it's the best thing for you.

3. ~Nobody~

I smoke too much, drink too much, chew my pen CONSTANTLY, chew gum (and blow bubbles with it), and I also eat too much lately :tongue:. But I was actually breastfed for quite a long time, considering.

But I guess you could certainly call me orally fixated, for whatever reason! :rolleyes:

4. crzykidshanana

crzykidshanana Well-Known Member

Hmm...well, it could be a psychological thing, too. Or, perhaps, because you were breastfed so long you have to make up for the loss even moreso?

Idk.

Us orally fixated people are crazy kids.

If you want to change, just try n' wean yourself away from it?

5. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

It's a big problem for me. I've been a smoker for 40 yrs now and wish I could quit, but it's the worst addiction I can think of. Of course it's terrible for my health but it's the only bad habit I haven't been able to get rid of. When I don't smoke I get nervous, jumpy, and REALLY crabby. I'm cutting down and will have to be satisfied with that for the time being, I guess.

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Join the club Least:sad:
    Have tried everything to stop..except just stopping....Mrs No Will Power <...ME:dry:

7. ~Nobody~

Terry don't put yourself down :hug:.

I guess for me I don't worry about years ahead. Now and again I wonder whether it's gonna be a huge problem for me if I ever get over the suicidal thing, but to be honest that seems too impossible to worry about.

So sod it. I feel like I might as well do ANYTHING if it helps me temporarily. Is this faulty logic?

8. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Nope Noddy, whatever gets you thru is alright :hug:

9. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Me smokes, but haven't tried stopping because I don't want to :rolleyes: Although I have told myself I will sto at one point because it's the main reason my grandfather's dead and the last thing he asked of me was to quit smoking. :sad:

Anyway carry on...

10. ~Nobody~

Thanks Terry. It's refreshing to actually hear that :hug:.

Aww Carolyn, that's quite a lot of pressure :sad:, sorry hon'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.