BED (Binge Eating Disorder)

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Atty, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atty

Atty Member

I've seen a few threads about comfort eating. Most people ask if this is an eating disorder. An eating disorder, in most people's minds, is categorized by supressing yourself, your appetite, and the food you consume. Most people find it laughable to have an eating disorder just because you 'can't stop eating'.

It's true, though. If you don't know what Binge Eating Disorder is, it's simply eating, eating, eating. You can't stop. When in an 'episode' the only thing on your mind is food. More more and more food. Despite what most people think, BED is as dangerous as the more common known Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia, but be honest. If you have BED or think you do, don't you have a niggling of a fear in the back of a mind you're making it up? Maybe you're just fat, you have no right to say you have a disorder because of it. I've been there - I'm still there.

And wouldn't it just be so embarrassing to bring it up to your doctor? I know I almost burst a blood vessel in the waiting room a few years ago, going back and forth on whether or not to bring up putting me on antidepressents. I can't even think of asking him about this - you probably can't imagine asking your doctor about it either.

Honestly, this is a problem and it is real. I thought I'd just add it here, because so many seemed unsure about themselves. Yes, it is unnatural to eat in huge quantities, especially if you're hiding it from people. You can't binge in your bedroom on whole bags of chips, candy bars, and other things like that then come out and have a normal dinner with your family and pretend you're not about to just burst.

I thought this disorder just deserved its own thread. If you want to read more about it, please go to ~
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/binge-eating-disorder/DS00608

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Thanks Atty good to have knowledge about all eating disorders and to know there is help for it hugs

3. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I eat although I feel sick, I eat food that I don't want to swallow. Binge Eating Disorder is real. It's horrendous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.