Practical Advice bedbug advice???

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have never in my life experienced this but apparently there are bedbugs in my apartment. I am in tears. Woke up itching last night and compared my bites to an internet picture and I think thats what it is. Of course I am notifying the apartment manager, but does anybody who has had this problem have advice?

Rockclimbinggirl

SF climber
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I picked them up from a hotel on a school trip. Everything from that suitcase was put through the dryer at a high heat. Stuff that couldn't be put in the dryer was put in the freezer. Does anyone else in the building have them?

snowraven

I have never in my life experienced this but apparently there are bedbugs in my apartment. I am in tears. Woke up itching last night and compared my bites to an internet picture and I think thats what it is. Of course I am notifying the apartment manager, but does anybody who has had this problem have advice?
Only experienced bed bugs once when I was travelling in India. Horrible things. You have my sympathy. Hope the apartment manager can do something for you.

They're very tricky to get rid of, hopefully your manager can sort you out with some sort of exterminator service. As far as I'm aware, heat, heat, and still more heat should get rid of most of the little buggers. Do you have any clues where they could have originated from?

StrangeRanger

Just Another Heathen
I've dealt with them a couple times growing up, my old roommate had them bad once... usually a heat treatment by a professional does the trick for sure, they are not fun to deal with ever,they're nasty little guys...

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
I had this problem a while back one time in my old apartment, may's kindly already linked to the thread for me. Had to get my apartment fumigated and I was unable to live in it for about a month.

If you're able to go shopping for it, there's this stuff called diatomaceous earth that the bugs ingest and it kills them. But that's just an immediate measure, your landlord should get your place inspected (and then if needed, fumigated) asap.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I haven't had bed bugs before, but I did have a different pest problem, I had a major carpet moth infestation in my damned bedroom, by the time the fluffy cocooned maggot looking things were climbing the walls of the bedroom (when I noticed them) there were thousands of the fuckers under the carpet and hidden behind every bit of furniture I hadn't moved recently.

I bought 2 cans of RAID, taped the windows of the room closed, pulled up the corners of the carpets, put down a thick layer of i think ant killer powder all around the edges of the room (so the little fuckers would have to crawl through it to get out from under the carpet) and in any crevices I could find, then emptied both cans of Raid into the room in 1 go and sealed the door with tape, amateur fumigation! 2 days later I aired it out and 2 days after that I cleaned up the bugs and moved back in from the sofa, that kept them away for the rest of the time I lived there.

I think they make powder for bed bugs too, and I know there is Bed Bug targeted Raid, you would just have to make sure that there are no gaps in the walls leading to other apartments or you will poison your neighbours.

p.s. I'm itching just thinking about bed bugs, I would have evacuated the flat as soon as I found them, but then again, I particularly hate bugs in general, I don't even like sitting on grass.

Last edited:

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Did they come have a look today Angie? They hopefully respond quickly. The faster they can start working on getting rid of the buggers the better. I hope they get on it! I'll yell at them for you if they don't

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I didn't get bitten last night. Man, I am sure hoping I was wrong and it was something else.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
@Angie - I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. I gather that bed bug bites are itchy and fairly large. Perhaps you could go to a clinic to get the bites checked out/identified? You will likely want to get rid of any bug that is biting. Once you identify the type of bite, you can advise the building management that they need to send someone in to help you with XYZ bugs.

Bed bugs like to hide between sheets, mattress, and box spring. Check there to see if there is anything at all there. Other bugs, e.g., carpet beetles can bite but are apparently easier to get rid of. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00