Been running a month and haven't lost a pound!!!

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by VALIS, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I almost cried right there in my father's apartment, went in the bathroom and saw a scale, I was thinking- I must have lost weight by now, I feel much better after running 10 miles a week when I am also an infrequent smoker....
    Haven't gained any, but haven't lost any either. Not even a fraction of a pound. Is this because I'm gaining muscle mass?
  2. It may be because you are gaining muscle, or it may be because the scales are different to other scales.

Scales, at the moment, I think are different in different areas.
    You may have lost weight on another scale, and you may have gained weight on another scale.
    I'd say scales aren't even reliable.

But running 10 miles a week is good, maybe your body hasn't gained or lost, usually you don't do either if you are just beginning a frequent exercise, but it may be because you are gaining muscle and soon, you'll probably lose, as you know, more muscle, the faster your metabolism is.
    Besides, running burns alot of calories and burns fat too, not just building muscle.
    Don't overdo it though.

And don't get upset over this.
    Give it time.
    Your body may just be getting used to these exercising and adapting to it.
  3. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

It takes time... if it's a new thing it might take a while. Also, if it is a new thing you are most likely building muscle mass in your legs, so that could be it. Also, I don't know about your eating habits but even with exercise if your eating habits are not good, it won't do anything... I don't know about yours though. Good luck! :hug:
  4. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

How many calories are you eating a day? Your body may be in starvation mode. Either that or you've gained muscle mass.
  5. Even if you are in starvation mode, exercise boosts your metabolism, and also, starvation mode = the body eats your fat/muscle anyway, so weight loss should be noticed.

I lost alot of weight whilst exercising until I fainted and ate nothing, drank only water.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. Perishable

Perishable Well-Known Member

You are probably gaining muscle, or your body is still getting used to the transition of your new workout.

Are you getting enough water? Sleep? Fruits? Vegetables?

Cold water burns calories
    Hot water Removes toxins.

Remember that. Water is good cause it takes your body calories to use it and none is gained by comsuming.
  7. Crying All Time

Crying All Time Well-Known Member

It can be because you are have more muscles.
  8. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Exercise and healthy living, contrary to most beliefs, will cause your body to display a healthy response: a stable body weight.

To burn fat you may have to exercise more.

Regardless, the important thing here is that you are feeling good, yes? Keep on doing it.
  9. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

Chances are that you have not lost any weight because the fat that you have burned by running is being replaced with muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, which is why you are not seeing the results you are looking for.

Especially since you have just started running distances, it is very important that you eat more than you used to. Having run cross country, I know from expierence that you have to eat alot of meat and take in alot of carbs, the more the better. Dont worry about how much you eat, because you will just burn it off while you run anyways. Also, be sure to drink something such as gatoraid to replace the electrolytes you lose when running. It is not healthy to grink just water, but it is not healthy to drink just gatoraid type drinks, you need to find a balance to stay healthy.

Also be sure to stretch before and after you run as well as do a warm up and cool down. This will help reduce lactic acid build up in your muscles so you are not sore the next day.

~if your going through hell, keep on going~
  10. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Wow thanks for the support, I figured this thread was like a doornail by now, maybe I'll stop whining about being a thread-killer now

well I'm still running and now I'm up to 13 miles per week, with an uphill basically it's been 3 months I've managed to keep it up. I am most definitely changing my body structure, i've dropped a size but seem to be losing fat where I wanted to keep it and keeping fat where I wanted it to it goes I guess

thought i'd lose it quicker...ah well.

so now i feel healthier and more confident (overall I would highly recommend this running thing even for time efficiency alone) except...I seem to no longer be fixating on what I've eaten as much but obsessing as to whether or not I'll be able to run, planning my meals around running, and freaking out when I'm unable to run on my planned schedule. Its got to be a form of bulimia I suppose, when I eat something bad I'm justifying it by running and guilting myself if I don't run.... hate to be a bummer, it's way better to be on a healthy diet and excercise plan but it's also just agonizing about my weight in other ways..
  11. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Great work.

But, forget about the number! I promise that you are slimmer and healthier from all this exercise regardless of what the scale says. I have looked AND felt drastically different at the exact same weight, so pelase don't judge yourself by the scales.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.