Before You Kill Yourself

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Godsdrummer, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this online and thought it might help.

Before You Kill Yourself....

by: Renee T. Lucero (as reprinted in "Dear Ann Landers", Dec 12, 1995)

You've decided to do it. Life is impossible. Suicide is your way out.
    Fine --- but before you kill yourself, there are some things you should know. I am a psychiatric nurse, and I see the results of suicide --- when it works and more often, when it doesn't. Consider, before you act, these facts: Suicide is usually not successful.

You think you know a way to guarantee it? Ask the 25 year old who tried to [edit/method] himself. He lived. But both his arms are gone.
    What about [edit/method]? Ask John. He used to be intelligent, with an engaging sense of humor. That was before he [edit]. Now, he's brain-damaged and will always need care. He staggers and has seizures. He lives in a fog. But, worst of all, he KNOWS he used to be normal.

What about [edit/method]? Ask the 12 year old with extensive liver damage from an [edit]. Have you ever seen anyone die of liver damage? You turn yellow. It's a hard way to go.

What about a [edit/method]? Ask the 24 year old who [edit] himself in the head. Now he drags one leg, has a useless arm and has no vision or hearing on one side. He lived through his "foolproof" suicide. You might, too.
    Who will clean your blood off the carpet or scrape your brains from the ceiling? Commercial cleaning companies may refuse that job --- but SOMEONE has to do it. Who will have to cut you down from where you hanged yourself or identify your bloated body after you've drowned? Your mother? Your wife? Your son?

The carefully worded "loving" suicide note is no help. Those who loved you will NEVER completely recover. They'll feel regret and an unending pain. Suicide is contagious

Look around at your family. Look closely at the 4 year old playing with his cars on the rug. Kill yourself tonight, and he may do it 10 years from now. You do have other choices

There are people who can help you through this crisis. Call a hot line. Call a friend. Call your minister or priest. Call a doctor or hospital. Call the police.
    They will tell you that there's hope. Maybe you'll find it in the mail tomorrow. Or in a phone call this weekend. But what you're seeking could be just a minute, a day or a month away. You say you don't want to be stopped? Still want to do it? Well, then, I may see you in the psychiatric ward later. And we'll work with whatever you have left.

2. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i like this. it really has an impact on how it is seen. i hope that those out there considering it don't. you are worth so much more than that. anyhow, take care

3. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that this is enough to deter me or that it's made me think twice but it hasn't.

That may sound callous but it's how I feel.

4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. Hope it keeps people away from it

5. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I know that the day I do it I won't care about anything at all, the world, people, society won't mean anything to me, and I'd actually do it with a 100% success rate method. Yes there is a popular one.

Hopefully this deters people less messed up than me. Oh and this has put me off a bit, don't get me wrong in my first paragraph, I just know when I reach breakdown I won't care.

6. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

I've seen this before but all it really did for me was help plan more effective ways of getting the job done... Sorry if it's blunt or crude or whatever, but if someone truly wants to kill themselves, I don't think they can fail.

7. sucidalgirl99

sucidalgirl99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting!

8. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I am very close to a person with prosthetic legs below the knees from a "quick and sure" method. It is very sad.

9. HiddenTears

HiddenTears Well-Known Member

Very powerful. Thank you.

10. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

Just what I needed, feeling more guilty.:sad:

11. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

:O :hugtackles:

12. towei

towei Member

Exactly what I felt when I read this post - put more guilt on my shoulders...

13. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

So what! Words from someone who has their shit together and doesnt know the half of what brings me to what I'm doing. I dont feel guilty for those I'm leaving behind, I feel relief knowing I'm not going to be a pain in their collective asses anymore. Thanks, but I'll take my chances.

14. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

I have no scruples about any morality of suicide. I don't feel remotly guilty, I care for no one or any consequences - derived from the fact no one cares for me.

It is my life, therefore it is my right to choose to end it - and not anyone elses. There is no one close to me to bother with. There is no one close to me who cares.

Life has given me a utterly shit deal. Its crap enough to say I want out. Thus it is my choice, my decision, my actions with my life.

No one else's. Period.

:mad:

15. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

This is supposed to deter me from attempting suicide? A few anecdotes about people who survived their attempt, followed by some standard guilt-tripping about how my loved ones will feel? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Yes, killing yourself is hard to do, and if you fail, it often leaves you in a worse position than you were in before. And yes, these facts do frighten me and make me hesitant to attempt suicide. But this isn't a good argument in favor of life- it's just extremely terrifying. All it means is that I'm trapped in a situation where I must choose between an intolerable life, and a messy, unreliable death that will devastate every single person I care about. It's an impossible choice, the stuff of nightmares- thanks for reminding me of that, random psych nurse.

The whole flippant, condescending tone of this article pisses me off. Just who does this person think she is?

16. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

well...

This makes me think that I really have to make sure my methods will really work.. and if I fail, then I'll keep have chances until I suceed...

Thanks

17. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

There are people who can help you through this crisis. Call a hot line. Call a friend. Call your minister or priest. Call a doctor or hospital. Call the police.
    They will tell you that there's hope. Maybe you'll find it in the mail tomorrow. Or in a phone call this weekend. But what you're seeking could be just a minute, a day or a month away. You say you don't want to be stopped? Still want to do it? Well, then, I may see you in the psychiatric ward later. And we'll work with whatever you have left.
    __________________[/QUOTE]

I've tried crisis line. They read script
    I've called my friends, they are going through a lot more than me.
    Minister or priest? I am an atheist
    call hospital or doctor or call police. done that

whatever I have left? Nothing...

I don't need help, I don't want help, I like it that I have some hopes.
    which is ending my pains.

are you going to take all my pains away?
    no one can...

cuz it's mine. My pains...

18. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think I've read this before. Thanks for posting :hug:

19. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I've also read this before. I have a very strong feeling that my attempted suicide would end in failure, another thing I couldn't do right. I wouldn't want my parents to take care of me
    if I was disabled through my suicide, they don't deserve that. I am already a leech to them, a handful.

And yet I have to be stuck in this life, being the pathetic person I am, in this incredibly deep pit I have dug myself into all these years? I don't know if I can get out and ever
    life a normal life. I feel that I must commit suicide, it is a requirement and then what if I can't even do that because I'm afraid of failure? Your stuck with nowhere to go, in limbo.

20. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

This is how I feel. I believe that I must eventually cause my own death, that there is no other possibility; I believe this with the same passion and single-mindedness with which people generally say that they must continue living at all costs, that suicide is never an option. I simply lack that survival instinct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.