Being alive is a blessing and a curse

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lymeinside, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lymeinside

lymeinside Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not trying to be emo or anything, but I really do feel this way.

I appreciate being alive. I can appreciate the good things in life, although they seem few and far between. I know that we are only here for a short time, and we only live once, so we should try to make the best of it. I can appreciate the beauty in nature and the good in some people.

It's just that I always have a deep-seeded feeling of hating to be alive. There is just so much wrong with the world and life. I just wish a comet would crash into the earth, or that the world would just cease to exist. I've felt this way for a long time.

There is just so much fucked up with this world. People get murdered, raped, robbed, tortured every day. There are millions of people starving to death every year, little kids being thrown in jail or killed for stealing food just so their family has something to eat. Then we have rich fucking idiots like Donald Trump who literally is worth billions. What good is he doing for the world? Building another mansion, while millions of homeless people in America freeze to death on the streets this Christmas.

How did the world go this far wrong?
  2. John 1

John 1 New Member

It is inherent in your post that you can envision a world that is better than ours.

A comet hitting the earth, nor you or I ceasing to exist, would improve things in any way. But the efforts of good people can make a difference. Believe me, for every Donald Trump out there, there is a good chap volunteering out in the middle of nowhere, feeding a poor hungry child and watching him smile.

Yes being alive allows you to see all that is wrong with our world today. But it is a blessing in everyway, for it also empowers you with the ability to go out there and make a difference.

Take care

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes, I often wonder about "the purpose of it all" and other philosophical musings.:blink: :unsure: The thing about you and I, and the members of this forum, is that our empathy "muscle" is overdeveloped: we see and feel the pain of others to an agonizing degree, in contrast to those cold hearted folks who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and who are blind and deaf to the suffering of others.

Ambivilent (sp?) as it may be, I agree: life is both a blessing and a curse, especially for those of us with oversized hearts.:sad:

I'm a big Star Trek fan, I love the world/universe they live in: no hunger, war, poverty... my fantasy escape...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.