Being an only child.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Absentimental, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Absentimental

Absentimental Active Member

I'm wondering, are there any other siblingless people out there on this site? If so, how do you feel about it? Oh, and if there's a more appropriate place to post this, feel free to move my thread.

I'm a girl who's nearly 21, my dad is 55 and my mom is 51. I'm an only child mainly because of the problems my mom had when she gave birth to me, they didn't think she could go through the same thing a second time without risking her life in the process.

My mom's parents are gone and she has one brother that she hasn't spoken to for years, even I have never met him. My grandmother (my dad's mother) died in 2007, she was the only relative outside my immediate family that I truly loved. My dad has five siblings, but even the woman I considered my favourite aunt along with my other aunt said that I should have been put up for adoption (even though that was a couple of years ago, it still haunts me now), so I essentially have no family except for my mom and dad.

The bottom line is, I'm scared that in however many years I have with my parents, I'm going to end up completely alone. I don't have any friends because I have confidence and mild anxiety problems in social situations (I would try and get over it if I could... but I have no idea where to start, I don't go anywhere because I know no-one.) I can clearly see myself ending it all in roughly 20 years time because of this, I honestly doubt I could cope. I actually KNOW I couldn't cope if things go the way I see them.
    I'm so frightened at the thought I cried myself to sleep last night over it, even tonight it hit me again. I don't know where this is coming from, but all of a sudden this is in the forefront of my mind and I can't shift it.

This is probably going to sound ridiculous, but I feel the only hope I'll have is by having kids in about 5 years time just so I could have some sort of family and a reason to keep my life going.
    And that's not forgetting that I would have to settle down with someone first.

I hate the idea that that could be the only thing that's going to save me.

What options do I have?
  2. DreamReaver

DreamReaver Well-Known Member

I am an only child too, why an an only child have no idea, fathers has borhter and sister and mother has borther and sister, actually if you look at my family tree, i am the only child in the whole tree. And with all those relatives, i know of about 5 of them and only like 8 live in australia and don't talk to any of them except my parents,

I am so alone now, and i know once my parents are gone, the lonliness will only intensify to unmanagable amounts, struggling now, so not looking forward to the future.

You are so young, you have the entire future ahead of you, you will meat people everywhere, work, college if you are doing that, even down the streets, anything can happen in 20 years.

Just take day by day and see what happens, you can't predict the future. Still have hope. Every new day has the potential to be the best day of your life.

Could always volunteer at a place you like doing, or find a club to join, and then there is of course the interent, find a forums that interests join and you will find new friends in no time if you active there. And plenty of things on the interenet where you can meet new people and you never know there might be Mr Right just around the corner on the internet.

Only really worry if you get to 40 or whatever and nothing has changed, then you the lonliness will destroy you. And you can join my world, I'm 34 by the way.

But for now, have hope, you are only young, you have the whole future to look forward to, think happy thoughts, well try too.

Don't know any of what i said helped, but I do relate to your situation if that is any use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.