Being Completely Alone

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Forgotten_Man, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

So it may have only been a weeks since I started my remote office, IE work from home, job. However, I have noticed a HUGE improvement in my mood. So I have to wonder if my depression has been stemmed from being around other people. I wonder if my social anxiety was causing my depression. The everyday stress of just being around people caused me trouble. However, now that I am just relaxing at home. Setting my own schedule. Determining what I want to do. when I want to do it. I am only around my kitty... >_> who is a horrible evil distraction from work... <.< damn her.

Anyway I have to wonder if you were actually alone all the time. I mean in complete isolation. Not living with a roommate or a family member. Completely on your own. Would you be happier?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know if I would be happier...I mean, sometimes I hate being around people, but I don't know if I could handle being alone all the time. Maybe it's good for you though if it is improving your mood.

3. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

I don't think complete isolation would make me a happier person, you'd have to be a very independent type to embrace that kind of lifestyle. Maybe that's what you are though, very independent. I enjoy being alone for long periods of time but I don't think I would enjoy living without having someone close to me. And although I consider my dog to be a "person" I can't carry on an intelligent and engaging conversation with him even if I do like to think he can understand what I'm saying - it's just not the same as having a fellow homo sapiens around regardless that, in a lot of ways, he's better than a human friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

I am not away from my mother, father, and dogs, and I do see relatives from time to time, but I found that after isolating myself from my offline and online friends my mood has definitely improved.

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

isolation at times is good to calm ones mind but i think long run human contact is necessary to stay healthy loneliness is so hard to take at times.

6. Caos

Caos Active Member

to do the difference between searched isolation and forced isolation. when one chose than it means he is ready for it and fits his need where forced can damage inthe short run regardless how you see it... it hurts soooooooooooooooooo much!! i live in forced isolation and it is destroying me

7. Cortez

Cortez Banned Member

I am isolated by circumstance and not by choice, every waking hour I am alone, when I go out I am alone, when I come back here in my room I am alone, it is not a good feeling at all.

8. Forgotten_Man

@Descendant: Well I do have a kitty. However, I did have a chunk of time when I lived alone with no kitty as well. I think my mood was pretty good then as well. Granted that was back in college. Anyway, I do have a kitty close at hand and she makes sure that I know she is there when I am working >.<

@Cortez: Maybe my isolation is not as much circumstance as I would like to believe. I did get a job offer for an office job. I choose this one over that one. Granted I do feel my isolation during college was circumstance. I was not incredibly happy, but I was happier then than I was when I was working in an office.

9. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

I used to llove being alone mainly because I wanted to focus on the music, not anymore. But people that I want to be with has to be caring.

10. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

Feel the same way. Would do anything to avoid loneliness. Living without a sense of belonging is something only few deserve.

11. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Ussually after wednesday I dont see another human sole for about 6 days.And even on wednesday its ussually hour meeting every two week i do see 2 councillers but it does get to ya after a while.From being isolated my anxiety has really sky rocketed would be nice to have somebody different to talk too sometimes not just councilllers

12. Forgotten_Man

@rv498: I am not really sure I follow :confused: .

13. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

I dunno about other music but for classical music, one really has to focus wholeheartedly to truely enjoy/appreciate music. That's why people get upset when someone coughs at a classical concert. Gustav Mahler once said Symphony is like a universe. It really is in some aspect. I dunno but for me it's hard to focus with all my mind and heart when someone is physically around me while I listen to music because I would try to digest certain long passage in a let's say Bruckner's 8th Symphony, not to miss out on any single musical note this composer penned down in order to reach certain nirvana like state so to speak.

14. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

i used to be completely alone. i lived with 3 family members but most of the time i simply locked myself in my room. for almost a year. all i had were the internet and my dog who i walked everyday in the park near my house. facebook account closed. phone number changed. so that no friends (which i still managed to have only a few) could contact me anymore. (but now i miss them so much)

seems to me that you need a break from people and the busy world outside. to be honest, i think it depends on your nature. if being in complete isolation makes you comfortable, it's totally fine. but at least you have to go outside from time to time to be around people even if they are complete strangers. your depression might have been caused by stress from being in work-related environment where a particular kind of social interaction was expected, not directly from being around people (but that is just my guess)

take care :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  15. hopefull

hopefull New Member

I am much happier being alone. I'm living in a commune with 6 other girls and I absolutely hate it. I've been looking for flats to rent but I haven't been successful. The sooner I get my degree and leave this place, the better. I'm glad you're feeling much happier now

16. Forgotten_Man

@rv498: No I completely understand the music side of things. I was a music minor in college. I meant more about the has to be caring part. That sentence did not make sense to me.

@pppqp: Well that is the best part I have no friends to begin with. I mean yeah I have a couple of former roommates. But one only wants to talk to me on IM. The other, well he calls me because he is too cheap to text.

Anyway, I go to the gym at least 6 days a week. So I do leave, I just feel no need to go out and be social for social sake. I have my cat too. She keeps me company. I do not plan on living much past her anyway. Maybe when I finally move to another state I will get something like P90X and just use King Soopers online groceries. However, as long as I have my gym memberships I have to use them. Plus my job will require me to travel from time to time.

Either way I feel much better being completely alone. I have noticed now that I can be alone. Being around people agitates me three or four times faster. I went out yesterday. I wanted to go home by the time I arrived at my destination.

@hopefull: I can barely stand living with one other person. Any more than that would drive me insane. The extra expense living alone is well worth it in my book.

17. RobertA

RobertA New Member

I live completely alone and work mostly alone and it is the cause of my depression

18. mistyeye

mistyeye Member

I do ok alone. Sometimes I am lonliest when I am around others. My days off are usuallyspent alone and I feel like I need that time away from people. But I know come Monday I will be around people again.

19. Waterfall55

Waterfall55 Well-Known Member

Have you read about schizoid personality at all - it might be of interest to you. Some people prefer being alone - it is what works for them.

20. Forgotten_Man

This is how I felt most of the time when I was around people too. My time off was so few and far spread that I needed to be away from people just to recharge.

Hmmm no I will have to look that up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.