Being on SF in a public place?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Rockclimbinggirl, May 30, 2016.

1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I am curious, do people log on to SF on public computers? I do, but I make sure to use incognito.

I use to try and hide the fact I was on SF. But now when I am in a public place such as my school's library, I don't really try to hide it. Well most of the people are not people that I know.
  2. JaggyJag

JaggyJag Member

I accessed the site at work via my phone today during lunch break. Think that counts.
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I don't try to hide SF at all. I strongly object to the "mental illness is something to be ashamed of" crap and I refuse to be any part of perpetuating that taboo. If more people felt able to admit to and talk about having suicidal thoughts and feelings, fewer people would end up dead. I access the site in public, around my friends and even at work - people at work know about SF and think it is a good thing. After discussing it with a few colleagues, those people are now open about their own depression or friends/family that are depressed and they are not sure how to help them. I am 100% in favour of getting people talking about mental wellness and support.
    Thauoy, SinisterKid, Petal and 3 others like this.
  4. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Rocky, in the past I was embarrassed to, not any more. I've been more open here than ever in my life, I'd loved to have found this place while struggling and keeping up a false front, maybe those around us need to come here but don't know about it. So I tell them what I struggle with and they feel it easier to open up about they're own problems. There is no shame in having mental or addiction problems. Good post!!!
    Thauoy likes this.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sometimes I use the site when on my uncle's computer. I don't really use the internet in public anyway, but I wouldn't mind logging on here if I did. Some people have negative opinions and have hurt me with them, but then they are just being ignorant.
    Thauoy likes this.
  6. Yoyogirl86

Yoyogirl86 Well-Known Member

I am on it anytime when i am out and i dont feel ashamed of my mental illness i just accept that its part of me, i dont worry about using private mode
    its none of anyones business what i go on
    Thauoy likes this.
  7. baywasp

baywasp The crappiest rugger

Well, I don't use public computers much anymore since I just bring my laptop with me, but I might go to SF on a public computer in incognito mode. I do log in to the site on my laptop when I'm in public when people might be able to see me. (I know the actual name of the site is not displayed prominently, but I still get kind of nervous that someone will see.) But actually, even on my own computer, I only use SF on incognito mode for some reason, even though nobody else ever uses this laptop. I don't know why I do that, and I feel like I shouldn't but I don't feel like having to explain it to someone.
  8. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

I use it on my phone in public places but it doesn't work as well on my phone as on my laptop. I've used it at the library and school before too. I didn't really try to hide it but I have also only told 1 of my close friends that I'm a part of this community.
    Thauoy likes this.
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

wow amazing hun and so damn true, you would not apologise for having a heart attack so do not apologise for the ''invisible illness''. About 3 years ago my laptop broke down, I went to an internet cafe and I used SF, I did not care who saw me. I am who I am. It is what it is. And there is no shame in being mentally ill. Great post freya. There is a sign in my day hospital that says ''depression is not always obvious but suicide is''. I think that sign should be in a lot more places not just mental health facilites. I hate that it is frowned upon. I'm borderline and damn sure not ashamed of it and never will be, it needs to be discussed more to prevent suicides.
    Thauoy, Witty_Sarcasm and Brian777 like this.
  10. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

Completely with Freya on this. I don't advertise my autism for example - people can figure that out themselves. But I should be able to go on a firum, any forum including SF with no shame and people really should not be looking at your equipment in any case. But you know what, some time ago I noticed a lady in the seat in front of me on the bus did the classic "I should of" instead of "I should have" and I was so tempted to say something - it's just wrong to be snooping but I think it is human nature and a lot of people do this.
    Thauoy likes this.
  11. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

I have never used a public computer for anything. If I am out and about, I dont have time to be online. But I am proud to be a member here. I am not ashamed to have mental health issues and if anyone were to ask me about the place or wanted to know why I am here, I would gladly tell them.
    Thauoy and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  12. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

I do feel the same as you. I appreciate you sharing this thread.