Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by PoisonS, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoisonS

PoisonS Well-Known Member

For years now I've been taking from at least three to five Benadryl at night to sleep. Whenever I ran out, I wouldn't sleep until I got more.

When I took it, I could sleep for up to a day and STILL be tired and unmotivated to do anything the next day.

I knew it was bad for me, that long-term use could probably cause serious side-effects, but at the time I didn't care because I needed to sleep and I couldn't do it without Benadryl or some other form of sleeping pill.

Lately though I've decided that I don't want to be dependant on it anymore and I'm trying to stop taking it.
    I've had several successful days now, but I keep getting urges to take it and just pass out.

Sometimes I would even take it when I was angry or bored, and when I've been frustrated over the past few days, I just keep thinking, "I'll just take some Benadryl and go to sleep."

It's getting harder to quit, and I just wanted to come on and get some support.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Can you get your doctor to prescribe you a proper sleeping aide that will benefit you better. Try a gravol even but talk with your doctor okay there are good sleep aides out there less addictive.
  3. PoisonS

I have some. Presciption, it gives me panic attacks. I don't want to take any sleeping pills anymore.
  4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I take two benadryl and a meletonin when I want to fall asleep at a time at night to be well rested (supposidly) for the next day. By the way, Unisom, a sleep aid, has the exact same active ingredients as benadryl.

If I don't take the bendadryl, I go to sleep, but it's a matter of when and for how long.

I know it's frustrating. I've heard precription sleep aids have their problems too.
  5. LDA

LDA Well-Known Member

I've overdosed on Benadryl many times because it makes you 'trip out'. Not proud of it. Benadryl isn't good.
  6. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

So glad you are quitting, it is not easy and I admire you.

A lot of pills are hard to get off of but luckly Benadryl in not physically addicting so it is a mental battle you are fighting.

If you ever need support feel free to PM me.
  7. PoisonS

Thank you everyone, for your support.

I'm having trouble sleeping lately, and right now I'm in the middle of moving, so it's hard to keep up with everything and not get my sleep.
    I keep getting the urge to just take Benadryl so I can sleep, that's the hardest part.

I picked quite a time to quit. :rolleyes:
  8. steveoh

steveoh Active Member

just stop being weak minded, your not physically addicted to opiates or coke, those are real addictions
  9. Well-Known Member

LOL at you bumping this year old thread. Do tell though, what else do you consider "real" addictions?
  10. steveoh

steveoh Active Member

i would say the real addictions are the drugs that make your body physically addicted
  11. Well-Known Member

So marijuana, shopping, sex, gambling, eating, etc aren't real addictions because they aren't a physical addiction? You should probably go learn about addiction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.