Benzo question For long time users

Hi...If I tell my dr that the only time I don’t want to kill myself is when I take Ativan will he admit me to the hospital? I know all about the dangers, the withdrawals, etc. of benzos but quite frankly, I have a life limiting auto immune disease and if taking a benzo every day gives me a few more years of quality of life, I will take it. I am 62. I have severe ptsd and I am in therapy but really have come to the end of my rope. I had a beautiful life before trauma. When I take ativan, at least I can at least have a memory...though maybe a false one...of what life used to be like.
Thanks.

MyCatWillMissMe

They will ask if you feel suicidal right now and if you say yes, they will send you to the funny farm. If you say no then you apparently dont need the meds, so it's a lose-lose situation. Youd be better off just saying you are far less depressed when on that drug and see what you can get.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Generally the only time they would try to admit you is if you express intent or have a plan. But I do agree with mycatwillmissme, you might be better off wording it that way unless it's a therapist or psychiatrist who already know this is going on.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
If I tell my dr that the only time I don’t want to kill myself is when I take Ativan will he admit me to the hospital?
In my opinion - no. He definitely should/would not admit you to the hospital due to this, in fact the opposite, you have found something that you find helps you. That is progress right there. If you find benzodiazepines help you and relieve you of stress then by all means explain this to the doctor and also make sure to tell the doctor that you are already aware of the risks of the addiction and dangers etc.. They will appreciate that.

Are you currently on them as an *as needed* basis?

I am a long time user of of a benzodiazepine and even though a little tolerance has built up it does still help hugely, I wouldn't be able to cope without them.

Your doctor will hopefully help you and start you on them, your doctor might even be pleased that you have found something that helps you feel relief from the stresses of life and that you feel much better whilst on them. I think this could work out very well but I'd advise you to ask the doctor further about the dangers of addiction so ye are on the same page but if your quality of life is better on Ativam then by all means bring it up with the doctor. You have nothing to lose. You will only be usually admitted to hospital if you have a plan and a method ready and are in imminent danger to yourself.

Sorry you are suffering but glad you are getting *some* relief.

I wish you well and good luck with your appointment.

I do have a limited supply. I will speak to my dr. Anti depressants just do not cut it. A former nurse friend of mine told me that she had patients on a low dose ativan for years....at a certain age when you realize that your time is limited, what have you got to lose.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I think it could go either way. It's really up to the doctor and whether or not he feels like he can put his license on the line on the fact that you won't do it. And I thought it used to be Klonopin, now it's Ativan?

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I was on Ativan for years on a PRN basis. Only thing that helped at all. My new doc has switched me from Ativan as-needed to Klonopin daily, and now we're just fiddling with the dosages.

I still have a few Ativan left that I carry around in case my anxiety spikes, but I've only taken 1 in the time since I've switched. They're more there because knowing I have them lessens the odds I'll need them, you know?

I've found the effects of the Klonopin are lesser, but longer acting. They lower my baseline anxiety, usually enough so that that occasional spikes in anxiety can be dealt with without further chemical intervention. Same with side effects, there is a more constant, but not nearly as strong feeling of sedation.

Whereas the Ativan was like playing whack-a-mole with the anxiety spikes (ie, occasionally hitting yourself in the face with the hammer of sedation in order to quickly knock down any anxiety), and leaving your baseline anxiety in it's heightened state.

It might be worth talking to your doc about switching.

I was on Ativan for years on a PRN basis. Only thing that helped at all. My new doc has switched me from Ativan as-needed to Klonopin daily, and now we're just fiddling with the dosages.

I still have a few Ativan left that I carry around in case my anxiety spikes, but I've only taken 1 in the time since I've switched. They're more there because knowing I have them lessens the odds I'll need them, you know?

I've found the effects of the Klonopin are lesser, but longer acting. They lower my baseline anxiety, usually enough so that that occasional spikes in anxiety can be dealt with without further chemical intervention. Same with side effects, there is a more constant, but not nearly as strong feeling of sedation.

Whereas the Ativan was like playing whack-a-mole with the anxiety spikes (ie, occasionally hitting yourself in the face with the hammer of sedation in order to quickly knock down any anxiety), and leaving your baseline anxiety in it's heightened state.

It might be worth talking to your doc about switching.
So do you plan on staying on it forever?

In my opinion - no. He definitely should/would not admit you to the hospital due to this, in fact the opposite, you have found something that you find helps you. That is progress right there. If you find benzodiazepines help you and relieve you of stress then by all means explain this to the doctor and also make sure to tell the doctor that you are already aware of the risks of the addiction and dangers etc.. They will appreciate that.

Are you currently on them as an *as needed* basis?

I am a long time user of of a benzodiazepine and even though a little tolerance has built up it does still help hugely, I wouldn't be able to cope without them.

Your doctor will hopefully help you and start you on them, your doctor might even be pleased that you have found something that helps you feel relief from the stresses of life and that you feel much better whilst on them. I think this could work out very well but I'd advise you to ask the doctor further about the dangers of addiction so ye are on the same page but if your quality of life is better on Ativam then by all means bring it up with the doctor. You have nothing to lose. You will only be usually admitted to hospital if you have a plan and a method ready and are in imminent danger to yourself.

Sorry you are suffering but glad you are getting *some* relief.

I wish you well and good luck with your appointment.
Do you plan on staying on them forever?

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Do you plan on staying on them forever?
Yes absolutely, unless I'm taken off them but as of right now I cannot see that happening. I'm much younger than you and its probably sad of me to say I will probably need them for life but unfortunately it is true. I have trauma issues and they are the only thing that will take the edge off when I need to be calmed down.

Just out of curiosity, are you on Ativan now because Klonopin stopped working? Or is there some other reason?

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I'm guessing what you're asking is "is the risk of benzo addiction or dependency worth it if they are the only thing that works?"

That's between you and your doc but obviously based on responses here, in some cases, some decide yes.

I'm guessing what you're asking is "is the risk of benzo addiction or dependency worth it if they are the only thing that works?"

That's between you and your doc but obviously based on responses here, in some cases, some decide yes.
You got it...that was my question....and considering my age, health, and quality of life or lack thereof, I would have to say my answer is yes also,

Yes absolutely, unless I'm taken off them but as of right now I cannot see that happening. I'm much younger than you and its probably sad of me to say I will probably need them for life but unfortunately it is true. I have trauma issues and they are the only thing that will take the edge off when I need to be calmed down.

Just out of curiosity, are you on Ativan now because Klonopin stopped working? Or is there some other reason?
I hear you. I have trauma issues...very recent though things from the past stirred up due to the latest trauma. Dr wanted me to try ativan as thought if I was to use something long term that would be better than klonopin.
So, your doctor is ok with you being on them for life or have you not discussed that...looking too far into the future is not always a good idea...one day at a time as they say!

Angie74

I don't know what I'd do without my clonazepam. And I'd sure like more of it! In my early 20's, one doctor had me on about 8 milligrams a day. Now I'm only on 2 milligrams a day. If I have to live in this world, I would like to sleep through as much of life as possible.

I don't know what I'd do without my clonazepam. And I'd sure like more of it! In my early 20's, one doctor had me on about 8 milligrams a day. Now I'm only on 2 milligrams a day. If I have to live in this world, I would like to sleep through as much of life as possible.
How long have you been taking it? I am at the point now where since I am 62 with a life limiting auto immune disease, I don’t care if I only get a few more years...if they are happy ones with benzos then so be it.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00