• You may receive an error message when sending PMs at the moment. The message you're trying to send has been sent and if you refresh your screen, you will see it. Otherwise you may get many repeated messages. We're working on this!

Benzo question - long time users

Any long time benzo users out there. Here is the deal...every day I struggle to stay alive. If not for my family, my overall fear of death and fear of going to hell, I would not be here. My family would be devastated and would never recover ... my husband would be embarrassed, humiliated, etc. just cannot do it to him.
A benzo seems to take away the urge to kill myself.
So, my question to you is...if I express this to my doctor, would he give me a low dose benzo for Life? I should add that I am 62, have a debilitating auto immune disease. If a consistent Benzo regimen could give me some quality of life, even if for 10 years or so, I would be satisfied.
I should mention that I have a neighbor who has been on a daily dose of Ativan for over 20 years and has no plans of ever stopping,
I am in therapy also...as this all stemmed from trauma.
Thoughts? Thanks,

Leesa

Any long time benzo users out there. Here is the deal...every day I struggle to stay alive. If not for my family, my overall fear of death and fear of going to hell, I would not be here. My family would be devastated and would never recover ... my husband would be embarrassed, humiliated, etc. just cannot do it to him.
A benzo seems to take away the urge to kill myself.
So, my question to you is...if I express this to my doctor, would he give me a low dose benzo for Life? I should add that I am 62, have a debilitating auto immune disease. If a consistent Benzo regimen could give me some quality of life, even if for 10 years or so, I would be satisfied.
I should mention that I have a neighbor who has been on a daily dose of Ativan for over 20 years and has no plans of ever stopping,
I am in therapy also...as this all stemmed from trauma.
Thoughts? Thanks,
This may or may not help. I have taken a low dose of Klonopin for I don't even know how long...it was initially given to me when I had bronchitis because I couldn't sleep. Now they've just kept me on it because it's apparently hard to stop. My doctor males me come in every three months for a new RX since it's a controlled substance.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Problem with benzos is you develop a tolerance after a while. I took them for years and then they stopped working.

This may or may not help. I have taken a low dose of Klonopin for I don't even know how long...it was initially given to me when I had bronchitis because I couldn't sleep. Now they've just kept me on it because it's apparently hard to stop. My doctor males me come in every three months for a new RX since it's a controlled substance.
Well I am at the point now where I do not care if I get addicted. It is better than being dead or at least I think it is.....

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$255.00