• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Benzo question - long time users

Any long time benzo users out there. Here is the deal...every day I struggle to stay alive. If not for my family, my overall fear of death and fear of going to hell, I would not be here. My family would be devastated and would never recover ... my husband would be embarrassed, humiliated, etc. just cannot do it to him.
A benzo seems to take away the urge to kill myself.
So, my question to you is...if I express this to my doctor, would he give me a low dose benzo for Life? I should add that I am 62, have a debilitating auto immune disease. If a consistent Benzo regimen could give me some quality of life, even if for 10 years or so, I would be satisfied.
I should mention that I have a neighbor who has been on a daily dose of Ativan for over 20 years and has no plans of ever stopping,
I am in therapy also...as this all stemmed from trauma.
Thoughts? Thanks,

Leesa

Any long time benzo users out there. Here is the deal...every day I struggle to stay alive. If not for my family, my overall fear of death and fear of going to hell, I would not be here. My family would be devastated and would never recover ... my husband would be embarrassed, humiliated, etc. just cannot do it to him.
A benzo seems to take away the urge to kill myself.
So, my question to you is...if I express this to my doctor, would he give me a low dose benzo for Life? I should add that I am 62, have a debilitating auto immune disease. If a consistent Benzo regimen could give me some quality of life, even if for 10 years or so, I would be satisfied.
I should mention that I have a neighbor who has been on a daily dose of Ativan for over 20 years and has no plans of ever stopping,
I am in therapy also...as this all stemmed from trauma.
Thoughts? Thanks,
This may or may not help. I have taken a low dose of Klonopin for I don't even know how long...it was initially given to me when I had bronchitis because I couldn't sleep. Now they've just kept me on it because it's apparently hard to stop. My doctor males me come in every three months for a new RX since it's a controlled substance.

Angie

Fiber Artist
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Problem with benzos is you develop a tolerance after a while. I took them for years and then they stopped working.

This may or may not help. I have taken a low dose of Klonopin for I don't even know how long...it was initially given to me when I had bronchitis because I couldn't sleep. Now they've just kept me on it because it's apparently hard to stop. My doctor males me come in every three months for a new RX since it's a controlled substance.
Well I am at the point now where I do not care if I get addicted. It is better than being dead or at least I think it is.....

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$410.00
Goal
$255.00