Bernard Madoff gets maximum 150 years in prison

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by nicesinging1, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Hello. As you guys know, this case has been all over the news since last December. Somebody say it is the biggest scam of the century and it probably is. Just the pure number is too staggering and incomprehensible to think about at $50 Billion or more.
    You don't have to be a business major to understand this case. I think this case shows how greed can cause so much miseries and distresses and how having millions of dollars at your disposal is not the greatest thing in the world. As you read in this case, some investors lost all their savings overnight as if it vanished.
    What did you guys make of this case? What did you learn from this case? Do you agree with the verdict?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
  2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I think he should be put to death.

People like him and those fat cats behind the credit crunch.... they're worse than drug dealers and bank robbers combined. Their greed and swindling crushes lives and in a lot of cases cause suicides. People graft their entire lives to live comfortably in life and to have it taken away from somebody that can't be bothered to earn an honest buck.... it's unforgivable. People like him are taking food out of childrens mouths and bankrupting honest, hard working people.

150 years is the most lenient sentence I would've given him.

Same with the people who are behind the credit crunch that's still effecting millions worldwide. People need to pay for that sh!t.

At least the victims of drug dealers have a say whether they get ripped off. They get a nice little high after they do too.
  3. pit

pit Well-Known Member

He fulfilled the prophecy of his last name - Madoff. He made off with other people's money -- yours and mine. This affects all of us. It's a shame they didn't catch his co-conspirators in this yet, but they will in due time. All of them should be hanged.
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Who? ?
  5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

One of the worst "worms" in the history of finance. I know that people put money in his hands because he was showing via his scheme he could make them a lot more and they were greedy.

But to take money from a "holocaust" memorial fund and other charities?

I once started a horrible thread here which I will not even repeat, but for those of you who remember...well, he would be a candidate.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

What makes that even more bizarre/reprehensible is that Madoff is Jewish. :eek:
  7. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I love it when US courts dish out ludicrous sentances like 150 years. It's a shame the UK courts don't impose such sentances.
  8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

You're absolutely right and I forgot to mention that! Thank you!!
  9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

The sad part is that he may not have acted alone. A lot of people are questioning how one man could've possibly run a scheme of this tenure and scale for so long without anyone else knowing. Indeed, I for one am certain that a least a handful of others out there - if not more - at least had knowledge, if not downright complicity in the horrible act.

This entire incident reminds us that although white collar crime is not as gruesome or violent as that which usually earns a heavier sentence or death (like murder and rape), it could be just as evil. Frankly, I think it's better he rots in prison for the rest of his short life.
  10. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

white collared criminals including those who get their money through "legal" ways produce most of the suffering in the world
  11. Account Closed

dude, all the country's in the world are corrupt
    some more, some less, but every government in the world is corrupt
    many large corporations are corrupt as well
    you just cant imagine the amount of money that is floating threw
    hands all over the world.
    some corruptions are even legal
    based on friendship (not a real friendship obviously)
    all you need is a friend who have friends at high places
    when you will find such person, you will gain access to places
    you wouldn't off imagine, you can go from 1000$ a month to 200.000$ a month
    in just a year if you have the right friends.
    most of those friendships are built on favors, ill give you a good job
    (such as judge) and you will help me when the time comes.

and the fact this guy is a Jew... WTF it have to do with ANYTHING?
  12. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Yeah, they're called capitalists aren't they?! :tongue:
  13. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Spending the entire life in prison can often be much more painful than just dying...
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Because he stole from a holocaust fund. He should know better.

That's about it really....

Depends who the person is. In Madoff's case, you're probably right.

But tax payers are the ones that have to pay to keep him alive. Even in prison he's still swindling.
  15. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

It costs the tax payers more to put somebody to death than it does to incarcerate them for life.
  16. pit

pit Well-Known Member

It takes a Jew to Jew a Jew. Just sayin'.
  17. wastedmylife

what about kenneth lay and the hundreds of others who built ponzi schemes and ripped people off who werent jewish, what is there excuse
  18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think he should get six months in jail and the remainder of his life on probation. He didn't do anything worse than what GWB did and Bush will never spend the night in a cell.
  19. pit

pit Well-Known Member

They were Italian.
  20. wastedmylife

agree, this guy just ripped off other rich people, bush and his friends destroyed this country and waged a war on the lower and middle class people and he and his wealthy friends have won

I guess you need to be rich in order to have the law work for you
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.