Beyond Words

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by gentlelady, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

In my hometown tragedy has struck twice in the past week. I am beyond words. On the 18th, two children my daughter babysits, were killed in a fire while staying overnight with their grandfather. Conner, 9, was dead at the scene. Tiffany, 6, was flown to a burn unit 800 miles from home and died the next morning. Last night Nicole, 14, a close friend of my cousins son, texted her friends goodbye and took her own life. School begins tomorrow for the children in this community and they face the loss of 3 of their classmates. The community is not large with a total population of approximately 6,000 people. I am sure the first day of school, which should be a time of happiness when friends get reunited after 3 months apart, will be very somber. I try hard to bring words of comfort and reassurance to the people of this forum, yet I am unable to do so for my own family.

I also received news that my aunt, who is suffering from ovarian cancer, has decided to end her chemotherapy treatments as the estimate it will add no more than 3 months to her life and she says the treatment takes away her quality of life. She would rather spend the next few weeks able to do things with her grandchildren and great grandchildren than the next three months bedridden. Her oldest daughter was not feeling well today and went to the walk-in clinic. They ran tests and found she had a blood clot and it caused her to have a heart attack. She is only 48 years old. They did an endoscopy and the procedure caused her to have a sever nosebleed. She ended up needing a blood transfusion because of the blood loss and she almost lost her life.

I don't expect replies, but needed to get out the feelings of inadequacy I have. Also the huge sense of loss for the community and its children.
  2. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Gee you have a lot going!!!! So much sadness. Really feel for the parents.

My sister in law cancer has just spread to her lung and spleen and we are going to visit her next week.
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Big hugs Gentlelady :hug:

Sometimes it's hard to believe that so much tragedy can happen in such a short space of time, especially in a small community. You do a great job of supporting & reassuring people on here (you have done with me), perhaps you find this easier to do as you are not directly involved with us whereas that is not the case with your family :hug: I am sure you do provide comfort to your family, you just may not realise it as you are dealing with your own emotions of what has happened.

Take care & be kind on yourself :hug:
  5. Dark~ness

Dark~ness Member

So sorry to hear this gentlelady :hug:

This may not help, I haven't been on this forum for long, however I can see that you are a very caring person and you help and support a lot of people here. Let us support you too? :hug:

Take care,

D x
  6. x

x Active Member

There is a great add by the UK charity Oxfam that i sometimes see around London on public transport. it reads....

"by the time you have finished reading this sentence, 8 children in the third world will have died from preventable diseases"

< Mod Edit Hazel: Insulting >

Why not start giving £50 per month to Oxfam. By the end of the year you will have helped to save hundreds of lives!

< Mod Edit Hazel: Insulting >
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

This is so sad. Try not to let the sadness overwhelm you though gentlelady. You seem like a very strong person, I hope you can feel better soon :hug:
  8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I am sorry that so much is going on around you all at one time. I hope you do not get too overwhelmed. I am here if you ever need someone to talk to.
    :heart: Corrina :hug:
  9. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

Hello Corrina

I am so very sorry to read this threat, please dont feel inadequate i have no doubt that the words you find even if few and difficukt will provide a sense of confort to many, your family willknow their mum is there for them and will come to you when they feel ready, amongst all this sorrow dont neglect your own feelings of saddness, im back ow and as always happy to chat with you when you feel the need take care my friend, you and your family will be in my thoughts hugs to you all
  10. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I'm so sorry to hear of the death of 3 young children in your area C, the death of one child is one too many never mind 3 in one week.
    My heart goes out to their families and to everyone who knew them, you'll find the right words when you need then C, you have a depth of caring that will see you through.

:hug: Hazel x
  11. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

hey lady

i'm really sorry to hear about all that is going on around you and in your life. i'm sorry you must go through this as i am also sorry for the parents of these precious kids.
    i believe the words will come for you as you need them. they probably don't seem so helpful at the moment because of the intensity of emotions right now, but i bet they are helping and you're planting seeds so to speak.
    please, :please: take care. i'll be thinking about ya and praying for you. talk to ya soon.
  12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Corrina, we never seem able to do for ourselves and those closest to us as we so freely can do for others. Please dont be so hard on yourself. Your emotions are high and the sense of loss is great. You will do just fine for your children and others in the community when called upon to do so. You have an enormous heart and a very strong will and soul. But please dont neglect your own needs right now. Grieve the lossess hun and let your friends here help comfort you and support you through this very tragic time. I know it's hard hun but you need to be strong and use the support you can get here to help you support the others that you love and care for. Please know I love you and that you and your family and the children and their families are in my thoughts and prayers.
  13. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. My heart lies with those families and their friends as I know the struggles they will be faced with for years to come. The trials are just beginning. I only hope they are strong enough to withstand them so the effects are not continued through future generations.
  14. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm sorry to hear about the deaths of the three children gentlelady. My heart goes out to their families. I also hope that your aunt is able to beat her ovarian cancer. Cancer is such an awful disease, because it can strike at any age and leaves people in so much pain. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.