Big but hurting??

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Lexie23, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexie23

Lexie23 Member

Is anyone here really, really big but have an eating disorder?? I swing from bulimia to anorexia, and sometimes both, and I feel like no one feels my pain cos they look at me and say "Hey, you are fat, you obviously don't have any problems...don't be silly". BUt the pain is so, so real. Just because I don't fit the model, I feel judged. x Lexie
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Lexie, I am not in the same boat, but am more than familiar with your problem. It's difficult for the overweight, because people don't understand that larger people can have eating disorders too. In fact, it can be moe difficult, simply because people automatically assume that overweight people are self-indulgent or that they CHOOSE to be the way they are. They don't see the suffering and the psychological ramifications of it. They just think "Eat less, exercise" and then they put it out of their minds. Oversimplification. There is a stigma attached with being overweight, whereas your "typical" anorexics are looked upon as having a disease. Small-minded people who just LOVE to label anyone they see :dry: I'm here if you want to talk.
  3. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

I'm currently average sized, and I mostly maintain my weight these days. I feel that people wouldn't believe that I actually had a problem because I don't lose weight anymore.

It's your eating disorder that tells you you are too big, no matter what size you are. Even many of the thinnest eating disordered people still don't feel thin enough for help, or feel that they will be judged as "fat" or "liars".

If you want to get help, you should go for it. Eating disorder professionals know that anyone of any size can suffer.

4. Smashed-Up-Sanity

Smashed-Up-Sanity Well-Known Member

I hate to say but diagnostically, if you are over weight you don’t have anorexia nervosa.
    You may have an eating disorder, yes, but to be diagnosed as anorexic you have to have a BMI of 17.5 and loss of menstruation for 3 months.
    I do not doubt that you have eating problems that are dangerous and really should be addressed asap. What ever professional you go to see, they will not think of you as a 'fat liar' or anything like that, they will help you hopefully get out of the cycle.
    I’m not sure who here will agree with me but it sounds like EDNOS??
  5. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

I am overweight and I am bulimic and I know what you mean. Eating disorders though are not about body size. Don't discount your pain or your unhealthy behaviors because of your weight. You don't have to prove how sick you are by losing weight or being a certain size.
  6. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

I find it amazing that the majority of bulimics are either a normal weight or slightly overweight, yet people still seem to believe that only thin people can have an eating disorder.

Judging from what you've said I'd agree that you probably have ED-NOS, which is still a serious disease.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.