Big decision and i dont know what to do....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by anonymous51, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Heres the problem, I am soon to be 18 and im at the time in my life when i have to start making decisions for my future, i dont want to make a mistake and regret it for the rest of my life.

Ever since i can remember, i have always dreamed of the army. Its the only job where I can see being useful and being treated as an equal. The job i am looking at is a combat medical technician, who goes out in the field and performs emergency aid to wounded and evacuates casulties. I dont want to be there killing anyone, by joining as a medic I can go out there to do good.

If i go and sign up, i will actually be doing some good in the world, helping soldiers and civillians. If i dont join ill probably be spending most of my time lazing around and partying getting drunk having fun. But the problem is that the minimum term of service is 4 years, ill be 22 by then. By that time i will be a full fledged adult, i never be a teenager again. People say that the teenage years are supposed to be your last times of complete freedom, and all your best memories come from then.

Now im at a crossroads. Should I forget about the army and have fun, go out to clubs maybe actually find a girlfriend? I could also get into university and live out my dream of working in the film industry.
    Or should I join the army, and use this time to do good in the world rather than spend it on selfish fun. I will learn life skills I can use later on in life and I will be a stronger man from it. But I will never be able to go back to those young times, I will have missed out on all the fun everyone else goes through.

The clock is ticking and I dont know what to do. :wallbash:
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Well, you mentioned that you had always dreamed of enlisting so you would be following through on goals you had previously set. 22 is not too old to still have fun. After you get out of the military, you can go on to the university and get your degree so you can work in the film industry. There are a lot of people that choose to go this way. I hope tht whaever path you decide to choose, you find that you made the right choices for yourself. :hug:
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I can tell you what my brother-in-law is doing. He joined the Army when he was 18 and went to college on their dime. They paid for his college (4 years) and his medical school (3 years), so he got to go and do the whole college thing and after his residency (2 years), he is going to be deployed and be a flight surgeon. If you talk to the right people, the Army will pay for your entire education, with a monthly stipend and everything and then when you are older, you can go and serve your country for 4 years and not have any student loans when you're done. By the age of 34, he will be a doctor and have served in the Army for 4 years and will have his entire career ahead of him.
  4. incognito

incognito Well-Known Member

That's my vote. :smile:
  5. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Do whatever would make you happiest in the long run.
  6. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it. At 18 it doesn't really matter. You can always focus on something else in 4 years. Pick something and go with it. All your options sound fun. Don't worry about missing out on stuff. Whatever you do, you'll be missing out on something else.
  7. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

(Heh. I never expected to find myself giving advice to one of the mods...)

Serving as a soldier medic is a noble thing. Fulfilling a dream (even if it's one among many) is also a noble thing. Even if, a few years from now, you leave your army career entirely, you'll be able to check it off your big Life's To-Do List. Don't underestimate the value of that.

You sound worried about the length of the enlistment. It might be hard to believe at your age, but four years goes by fairly quickly, and you will still be fundamentally the same person you are now. Military discipline and physical exercise can be very good for someone with depressive tendencies. Obviously, PTSD-inducing experiences can be very bad for a depressive, though, so keep a little supply of propranolol with you just in case.

(Propranolol, for those who don't know, is a blood-pressure medication that has long been used to prevent stage fright. I've used it, and it works quite nicely for that purpose. But more recently, it's also been shown to be fairly effective in preventing PTSD when given to people who've just had a traumatic experience. So it's becoming quite widely used in the military.)

And if you're worried about not meeting girls, you might be interested to note that Miss Utah 2007 is an army medic, just back from Afghanistan.
  8. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I think im going to talk to my parents about it seriously within the next few days. I told my mum that i was thinking about it before and she laughed it off :dry: apparently i cant do anything worthwile.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.