*big* or *fat*? *might trigger*

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Unregistered1987, Apr 19, 2007.

1. i want some honest opinions here.
    when does someone change from being *big* to being *fat*?
    what size? what weight?
    15st2....fat.....all agree??
    when should someone decide its time to just give up and stop eating?
    how big can you get before you admit you have a problem?
    big people are a turn off to men yea? but how big? when does it start being a problem?
    i really should just go back into my hole now

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Working out someones BMI can be a guide to someone being overweight. But it is not the be all and end all because it does not take into account the difference between muscle weight and fat weight.

15 stone 2 could be perfectly healthy in the right circumstances.

No one should ever decide to give up and stop eating, that can cause an eating disorder and is incredibly unhealthy. If someone wants to lose weight then the best way to do that is moderate exercise and a healthy diet. If they are really concerned they could go to their doctor to talk about a plan to help them lose weight.

I think the last few questions can't be asnwer by me, and a lot comes down to the individual in question.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I guess it becomes fat when medically you are classed obese..very unhealthy.

Personally, I know I'm fat when:

nothing I have in the wardrobe fits anymore
    my bum is the size of a truck
    joints(specially knees) are complaining
    and I seem to have acquired a second chin:blink: :eek:hmy:

As to men findidng it unattractive, well apparently there are some men (there is a club in the UK just for these peeps) who want really fat women:blink: saw a programme on the TV about it!!
    So I guess some wont like it and some will!!

Don't starve self, that makes your body go into starvation mode..slowing down your metabolic rate. You lose the weight and the minute you eat anything it gets stored as fat cos your metabolism is now so slow=back to being fat on half the calories:eek:hmy:
    Sensible diet and exercise= slow loss that stays off:biggrin:

4. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

If we're going by BMI here, I won't agree. My stepdad is counted as obese, and he's a skinny twig! :blink:

If that's true, I'm in alot of trouble - there's at least 19 stone of me right now :mellow:

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

That's why I explained about how it doesn't take into account fat weight and muscle weight.

Tom Cruise is counted as obese, but that's because he is slim but has a lot of muscle, which weighs more than fat.

So I totally agree with what you say.

6. Terry

If that's true, I'm in alot of trouble - there's at least 19 stone of me right now :mellow:[/QUOTE]

Ah but how tall are you?

19stone and 5'=enormous
    19 stone and 6'= fine

7. Edicius si Evol

Edicius si Evol Well-Known Member

Hail The Metric System !

8. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

5 foot 11 and a half :laugh: But I still count as 'obese' apperently :blub:

9. Terry

you is talking to short round person...begining to feel as round as she is tall.
    Ah well perhaps I can get a job as a space hopper.:dry:

10. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I have no idea how much a "stone" weighs :unsure:

11. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

14 pounds

12. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

A stone is 14 lbs, and there are 2.2 lbs in 1kg

13. :agreed: I have no idea what you guys are talking about. We measure our weight in pounds. In pounds, depending on height and gender. Me, I'm almost to the very obese stage. I'm 5'6" and weigh 170lbs. I weighed 180 not even 2 weeks ago but I quit drinking soda and drink nothing but water now.

14. run4fun

run4fun Well-Known Member

it also depends on height and shape. my health teacher said just try eating healthy and the weight will eventually follow. it's not a cure all. but at least your healthy, awake more and losing a little more weight. skin complexion is better.

15. Yes, but how long will it take? I mean, switching over to nothing but water has done a great job in two weeks, but I know I have a long way to even be able to compete with my sisters. :(

16. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

All you have lost is water weight and are probably dehydrated. That's not healthy or sensible at ALL!

17. No no no, I've drank nothing BUT water. I don't drink soda anymore. Less calories in my diet which has reduced my weight.

18. Edicius si Evol

I have no idea of pounds and stone and whatsoever.

19. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Are you eating in addition to drinking water? This was where my confusion lies.

20. Edicius si Evol

Where is teh difference between pounds and lbs ?