Binge Eating :-_(

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by LaDesdichada, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaDesdichada

LaDesdichada Member

hi, i am a binge eater and i cannot stop eating. i am addicted to food . i have been increasingly gaining weight for the last few years and it is affecting my health. i am powerles. i have become a recluse, i have stopped thinking about my future, i wallow in shame.i try everything, i cant stop, it is a real addiction. i dont want to see my friends and most of my family members because i dread the comments, the commens i know they will make about my weight. the way they will judge me. i know that iam a disspointment to my family. i have struggled withmy weight my whole life:sad:

does anybody here suffer from binge eating? has anybody here suffered from it and found a solution

i dont know what to do, i hate myself :sad:

2. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

I am bulimic and recovery is a slow and painful process. It is not about the food, you are covering up your feelings with the food. You have to find a way to be able to feel your feelings without using food to cope. It is a choice, you have the power to stop the behavoir, you just have to find that strength and determination from within yourself.

I wish I had a magic cure for you, but unfortunately like any addiction, you have to take it one day at a time, sometimes one meal at a time.

Have you sought treatment?

3. letdown

letdown Guest

:hug: I'm diagnosed with anorexia (purging subtype) so I do binge eat/purge when I'm not well and I know what you mean. Like swimmergirl says you may be covering up your feelings with food. I really hear the trapped situation you're in as I know all too well the feeling and the desperation..:sad:

Other than seeking counselling I really recommend journalling or just writing everything you feel down when you feel out of control...(if not that, any other type of expression)...it does help ease the urgency and the agitated feelings..

Regarding the unhelpful comments from your family- perhaps the minute they start up you could say, "Wait! You are not helpful. I have an eating disorder and my body is not yours to comment on." Or something similar but forceful to shut them up. Because those comments do not help your feelings and are harmful.

When I think about it, addictions, eating disorders can be a way of expressing/dealing with family (and also social) problems..it really highlights what you're feeling about the way you're treated in your family/people around you...and that perhaps protecting yourself from them, or asserting what isn't acceptable to you in their comments and actions may help you feel in control of your space, your body and yourself.

Then again, I live alone and still have various things from when I was growing up floating around my head. It's difficult to untangle them.

I really hope you seek counselling, therapy to help..there are lots of things out there that will suit you and give you a place to talk about your feelings safely. Your feelings are important although other people seem to think they are unimportant.

As for binge eating, I've heard the first step is accepting your body whatever shape or size it is (ie, no yo-yo dieting)..and that is very difficult if you're overweight and you have people picking on you all the time There are a few self-help workbooks I think, if you go to www.somethingfishy.org they may advise you and they are helpful in encouraging you to think about the wider issues of your life and how you feel.

I wish you all the very best. Any eating disorder at their worst is like living in some kind of neverending drawn out nightmare..

:hug:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I've been diagnosed with BED (binge eating disorder) also anorexic tendencies, and tendencies of binging for awhile then not eating for days. My eating disorder's are mainly in recovery, except I have issues with Chocolate when i'm upset, if I want to cut but I am trying not to self injure or etc I run to the chocolate. I don't talk about this, really with anyone because i'm embarresed, but I didn't want you to feel alone, if you ever want to talk about this or anything please message me/add me on MSN or PM me, i'd rather not say much more about myself on here, because of my selfesteem and etc. But please know you aren't alone. Take care hun. :hug:

5. Driretlanii

Driretlanii Active Member

I first was diagnosed with binge eating disorder, then one day I snapped out and went into anorexia... during my treatment for anorexia I got into bulimia... and now I do go periodically from one to another... The real issue is how we deal with our feelings, and since food gives us comfort (and this is a fact scientifically proven) we try to cope with our problem through food - but we can't... It sucks big time.

6. thebiggestlie

thebiggestlie Member

I'm right there with you.
    I've yo-yo'd up and down by the same damned 15 kg's during the past year.
    I think, I don't know but I think, that if I just eat 'normally' throughout the day instead of restrict, I am less likely to binge, even though I feel prouder of myself during restriction. If I'm happy, I'm less likely to binge.
    So the trick for me is stay happy + eat normally (if possible) = minimal bingeing.
    Just take it day by day. Record everything you eat if you can. Go cycling/walking 1-2x a week and then work it up from there. You can do anything you put your mind to, it's all possible.
    Good luck :]

7. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

LaDesdichada,
    You are very much like me. I have become a recluse, food is the only comfort I get and I also hate myself. I just now started going on a diet and would love to go to the gym but I hear voices in my head which discourage me. If you can, getting exercise is the best way to go but I understand motivation is sometimes a huge issue. Food can be as bad as a drug addiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.