Binge eating

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by watsons533, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watsons533

watsons533 Member

Hello there.

well definitely many people have the binge eating disorder .it is a common to have compulsive overeating disorders. I want to know what are the possible help available to get support.

is getting a nutrition counselling or online counsellor can help in this one ?

What do you guys think ?
  2. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Probably no.

Public, general nutrition counseling (online) is to educate young people about vitamins, or for dietary needs connected with pregnancy. Nutrition counseling in private (in doctor or clinic office) is usually about diabetes or other medical conditions that have special diets.

Binge eating and overeating are two different things. They are considered disorders, just as heart disease is. And like heart disease, they can kill. Binge eating and overeating have formal medical names which I don't know. Do look these up. They are grouped in the behavioral health practice field, meaning they are treated by psychiatrists, general practice M.D.'s, psychologists, or social workers.

There is a 12-Step group, Overeaters Anonymous, which takes a spiritual view of the conditions. It is a support group rather than treatment.

I would guess your regular doctor is the best place to ask first.

Best of luck to you. .
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

The clinical term for binge eating is binge eating disorder, overeating is compulsive overeating (compulsive overeating isn't recognized in the DSM but is discussed in the psychology field, so it has potential for being recognized soon. binge eating disorder was recently recognized in the DSM5). Overeating is not the same as compulsive overeating or BED. Overeating is often just the result of lack of knowledge about nutrition. Binge eating or compulsive overeating come from a different problem (these people may or may not have knowledge about nutrition). The two can and often do coexist.

Before my atypical anorexia, I suffered from binge eating which led to compulsive overeating. My binges got so huge that I started to gain weight, so I never felt 'full'. Which led to me compulsively overeating. Which caused severe distress. Even more so than the binges, actually.

Someone with BED will binge similar to a bulimic, but without the purging. Compulsive overeaters don't binge, but do eat far more than other people would and in both cases, the habits cause severe distress.

Nutritional counselling might be helpful, but doesn't get to the root of the problem. In both cases, therapy to get to the root of the problem has proved far more successful than diets, nutritional counseling, or even those rehab centers for overweight people. A 12 step program definitely would be a good idea. And a therapist might be beneficial, too.

Best of luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.