Bipolar and paranoia

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by GreyCat, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I suffer from depression, and someone I know in real life has a diagnosis of bipolar. They suffer from paranoia and are convinced they are highly psychic, and this has a very negative effect on their life. With respect, and without wanting to offend anyone, I just wondered, is paranoia and feeling psychic a common symptom of bipolar? Is there any effective way of getting rid of this paranoia, as its an awful way to live? I am not very knowledgeable about this and again would like to say I don't mean to cause any offence by asking this question, I just need to understand my friend a bit more.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

With medication adjusted the paranoia can be decreased some hun Best to get your friend to tak to his doctor okay

3. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

Hi Eclipse, how are you? hope you are ok. Thanks for answering. Its a tough one with this guy, because he doesn't believe he is ill at all, and takes his meds extremely grudgingly, and never opens up about it to anyone. But I am worried about him because he told me that people are able to broadcast his thoughts at will and won't have any of it when I say that I don't believe such a thing is possible. I hate to think of him feeling like people can do that, what a horrible way to feel. Theres no point in me trying to tell him it isn't really happening, when he can see it happening with his own eyes. An unenviable state, truly.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

That is the thing with schizophrenia they do not believe that they are ill their thoughts are infact so real to them sometime with my brother i have to go along with what he is saying and just let him know i care about him and i hope he can put his trust in his doctor to help him I tell him i a sorry you are feeling there are people outside wanting to hurt you i am sorry you are so afraid but not to worry because i will make sure noone harm him. It is hard hun i know we are not to feed into their reality but sometimes it calms my bro down when i say i know you believe all this is true but try not to worry so much ok i will protect you. I then let his nurse and doctor know what is happening so they can help him as they are the professionals
    I am sorry your friend is so fearful right now of those around him hugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.