Bipolar... could it be wrong diagnosis... or is he lying?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by FrainBart, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I have been with my bf for 3 years now, and when I first met him he was at uni. During which he spent his loans on things he didn't need, ie two computers and items if similar kind. He then gave up with his studying after a failed attempt put him in hospital. he was then given a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. Since I have been with him I have never seen him having any extreme highs, nor lows, he is not on medication and hasn't been for over two years. To me its as if he has been magically cured by the attempt that put him in hospital.
    Each day I grow increasingly doubtful of his bipolar disorder, which isn't helped by the fact that he is milking it for all its worth. I have worse lose than he has. I believe that he just has depression. so any bipolar sufferers could you please help me out with describing highs lows. frequency what you do during those highs etc...
  2. st_91

st_91 Active Member

It is very hard to get a diagnosis, let alone the right one.
    Some people do 'milk' their illnesses but most of the time it's because they want some sort of acceptance or attention...

high and lows can be different from person to person but lows can consist of; losing interest in things, restlessness, trouble sleeping or sleeping too much, negativity, eating too much or too little, loss of concentration, avoidance, unhappiness and feeling suicidal. (depending on the person again, they can last days to months)

highs; happiness, excitement, over spending, full of energy, anger/getting into fights, unrealistic plans, not being able to sit still, talking fast, reckless behaviour, not wanting to sleep or unable to sleep. (again can last days to months, also depends on what type of bipolar disorder)

Some people can have a 'normal' state between episodes but it's can also be a mild depressive mood.

A lot of people with bipolar disorder aren't on medication, mainly because they stop it or just don't find one that's works for them or just give up.
    Has he had any other help (therapy, alternative medication etc)?

people who don't have bipolar disorder may find it hard to spot the signs.

hope this helps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.