bipolar how to deal with it????

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by kdt, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdt

kdt Member

hey i have suffered from the symptoms of bipolar for 5 years but have only been formally diagnosed.
    i was wondering does anyone who is also suffering from the same illness could help me by telling them how they deal with there extreme highs and extreme lows.
    and how do you explain it to people who do not know who it i dont know how to put into words my feelings about it.
    please your help would be hugely appreciated
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Hi kdt,

I don't have bi-polar so don't feel able to suggest how it feels because whilst I could logically guess, that doesn't compare to the experiences you must go through. I didn't just want to read and run though.

If communicating is an issue, could you try graphing (like on a scale of 0-10 for how good you feel or something) or drawing how you feel and then showing that? that might give people an idea for how variable and extreme the moods are and how hard it is. Sometimes visually seeing it can make a huge difference in understanding.

Sorry if that's not helpful, please disregard if its not.

Are you on meds currently and getting some decent help and support?

Hope you're ok, and I'm glad you've finally got some help and know what's going on for you.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I happened upon some research about how to fight bipolar without medication or therapy; it's effective in my experience but far from easy. Basically, a strict sleep schedule with 10 hours of sleep per night can stop cycling. You don't have to sleep the whole time, but you need to be in a darkened room doing nothing for those 10 hours per night at the same time each day.

I think I managed to arrest my rapid cycling bipolar 1 using that method, sleeping from midnight to 10AM. I've only been consistent for 6-8 weeks, but in that time I've not cycled (whereas I'd expect a mania and a depression in that time otherwise).

And yes, it's hard to keep up. It's not clear whether you need to do it all the time or only when you do cycle; I do it all the time, though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.