Bipolar starting college in 3 months

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Green.Triceratops, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green.Triceratops

Green.Triceratops Account Closed

I'm scared kinda. On one hand i want to stop my meds but i dont wanna get real depressed and flunk out. I wish i could stay up forever then i wouldn't have to worry. The whole bipolar thing just sucks. Its hell. I'm up then i'm down and incapable of even doing laundry. Being stable isnt much better because my mind keeps trying to pull me up and down.

All i wanna do is complete college and get a decent job :/
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hope you do stay on your meds hun it is hell without them. Talk to your doc okay let know you will be starting college and will have more stress so maybe meds need to be adjusted some. Good luck with your college education hugs
  3. eagle

eagle Well-Known Member

you need to talk to a counsellor at your college to help you with all of the comnmitments you will have to make. at least then you have support :)
  4. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I'm gonna try to go back in the fall. I have schizoaffective disorder. It's going to be a bumpy ride for us both!

Wishing you the best!
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Pursue treatment, trust me, you WILL fail out if you go depressed, manias aren't worth it. Personal experience failing out due to bipolar. Fuck bipolar.

I wish you luck. Feel free to message me about either bipolar or university, I'm well-versed in both.
  6. Green.Triceratops

I know you guys are right. About staying on meds and getting them adjusted. I didnt think i'd have his much trouble accepting bipolar but its like a silent hell. I dont complain at all, only on here.

Med management isnt til the 26th hope i can hold on feel like i'm just keeping my head above water somedays.

I'm not even taking classes and its freaking me out. Must stay positive. It was easier in the hospital because being positive meant getting out. At home theres no reward for staying positive lol.
  7. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

You can do it! That reminds me, I need to get some algebra books
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Worrying about college starting for the first is a lot worse than college in the vast majority of cases. Once you're working and have a routine going you'll relax a bit.
  9. Green.Triceratops

Yeah thats why i only have fall for 3 classes 2 days a week. Gotta start slow i figure otherwise i'll burn out like i always do. And i'll see if i can get some sorta support from the school as far as counseling and i dunno what else they csn do, not much i'd guess.

Might need to check on the attendance requirement just incase. But i'm aiming for no more than 5 "sick" days.
  10. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

One piece of advice and that's it:
    no matter how bad your depressions get, go to your classes.

Even if all you can do is sit there and half-listen. Even if you're barely awake, crawl into class. The worst mistake I made when in college and having a depressive episode was letting myself stay home, saying I'd catch up on my own. Way easier to just go.
  11. Green.Triceratops

I would fall asleep and get in trouble if i did that lol. But i see what you are saying, my saturday class is a hands on technical class so i hope it'll help because i'm excited about that. And i made my other 2 classes for Mo/Wed so i'm not expected to go every day of the week, just the 3 days so that should help.

Lol, its sad i have to take all these precautions not to fail, but its for the best i suppose.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.