Bipolar the "trendy" Mental Illness?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Underground, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is just me that has apparently noticed this or I'm ranting about nothing, but is anybody else irritated by people who think Bipolar Disorder is some trendy mental illness? It's nearly always treated like that by teenage girls / young women (not being sexist, I'm a 19 yr old girl myself) who think because they were "happy / hyper one day, then sad the next", they must be full fledged bipolar...

I'm not even bipolar myself, but I know people who are, and mania is a terrible condition which disrupts lives through debt, suicide, the psychosis element, and so on.

It seems so pathetic and insulting to trivialise it into something it's not...

2. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Amen to that.

3. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Amen for sure!

I really hate it when people go "gee I feel so bipolar today!" I just wanna slap people that say that!

4. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

wtf, who thinks being like this is trendy?

5. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Well I guess you can say its trendy for people to self diagnose themselves with it because they think it will give them a get out of jail free card for acting like an arsehole.

6. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Some celebrities - Catherine Zeta Jones, Stephen Fry, etc. have been diagnosed (questionably in some cases, tbh) with it in recent years, which I think is part of the reason.
    A lot of people seem to think mania = hyper or mania = happy, when it's more complicated than that.

It's a bit like those muppets who think schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are the same thing.

7. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I think it's because it's linked with creativity in the minds of those who don't know how it's like. And with eccentricity.

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

The diagnostic criteria is so broad, BPD is the easiest to claim, particularly in order to get a pass for inappropriate behavior, and as an easy qualifier for a disability check from the government. Also an easy excuse for access to prescription drugs.

9. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think it's stupid when anyone treats something serious as trendy.

10. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

BPD is the new Asperger's, then?

(Can't say I've noticed too many false claims of either one outside of the internet, though)

11. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Yeah, IRL people realize that you're not actually odd in any diagnosable way.

Even if it's not trendy people that claim they're so "OCD" about organizing or something really bother me too, not because I have some emotional trauma with OCD or anything, just because it's amazing inaccurate and will perpetuate inaccurate assumptions of what it is to have OCD.

What really bothers me is how over-diagnosed depression is. I spent a good amount of time in a mental health hospital and it was nice in a way because all the kids there actually had something worth complaining about. The kid with bipolar was actually unpredictable and did outrageous things without even thinking about that weren't just indulgences in some personal desire to look eccentric, the kid claiming he had schizophrenia heard the devil talk to him at night and would often lose his train of thought, one of the kids with Major Depressive Disorder actually ended up needing breaks to sob and resented the cut-marks on her arms.

For all the great things not being in hospital meant it did mean I was back in a world where people honestly expect sympathy because they're teenagers that think being angsty about what to do with their life is a profound disability that is their cross to bear .

12. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

I think most mental illnesses are spectrums (spectra?) - just as one can see with autism or Aspergers there are those who have "classic autism" to others who might be labelled "PDDNOS" and who can function relatively well but have noticeable aspects and traces of an autistic-style brain.

I suspect it is the same with bipolar disorder that there are varying severities.

13. i agree-i was a special education teacher for 10 years and teachers were giving away bipolar like it was candy-dont turn into one of those kids-personally i have bipolar and finally got the right meds after 17 years!!!!!!!-what a bitch-doing good now-you are right though-kids are getting weaker and weaker-looking for a reason to not do anything or make anything of themselves-please dont become one of them-spread your wings.

14. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when my ex boyfriend texted me one say and told me "Rianne I think I'm bipolar." I was like "dude, what the fuck, you do NOT have mania, and I highly doubt you have hypomania." I know him enough to say that and I think he associates bipolar with just having moodswings and being an asshole, which he both has. I had a true manic episode on Friday night/Saturday morning and almost died from what I impulsively did. I'm so sick of people associating bipolar with shit that it's not. /endrant

15. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of things that have been said here already. Being bipolar is no longer being seen as a serious health issue because of celebrities. It's so easy to self-diagnose and many people just look at a checklist of syptoms and think "yup, that's me, omg I'm bipolar, I better tell everyone!"

Now, I have no idea how many celebs have a "real" diagnosis for this but there are definitely plenty out there claiming to have it. The more celebs that have it, the more it's seen as something cool - it's become rather like a fashion accessory and it's really upsetting because the people out there who do suffer from it are, at times, going to be seen as just "following the trend" and might not get the help they need.

I hate to make the comparison but it's like being bisexual. So many celebs say they are bi, and so many girls say that are bi just because they've made out with their female friends, that the people who really are bisexual and don't care about the gender of the person they are with, are being labelled sluts.

Bi, it seems, is just cool.

16. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Yeah...an ex of mine actually told me he thought he had dissociative identity disorder, just because he "spaced out" sometimes or randomly fell asleep. From what I've seen, he didn't have DID. When you have DID, you do stupid shit by accident, not on purpose :rolleyes: So I get where you're coming from on that...

As for Bipolar though, I have seen a few times where it's become a diagnosis for people who just experience mood swings, or are only sad sometimes (when and as much as it's appropriate to be) and then happy other times. I remember my psychiatrist asking me if I ever experienced any "highs" at all the first time he evaluated me, and it was literally like one of his first questions before he knew anything else about me or would even listen to what I tried to explain to him. It seemed like he was trying to pin Bipolar on me before even considering anything else. As for people self-diagnosing, though, I think you have to be a very self-aware person to be able to "self-diagnose", and actually look at the pattern of your actions over years' time. If it's something that's only been happening a short while, you can't really say you have it or don't have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  17. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

pharmaceutical treatment of situational depression
    self-diagnosis for attention.
    minimizing the real illness and what it means
    misuse of semi-colons ;;;
    doctors who don't take a long time and an exhaustive patient history before Dx and Rx

these are a few of my least favorite things

18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It doesn't help that all these disorders and conditions are used colloquially. Even if people - and sometimes me, guilty as charged - don't intend to be trendy, it seems easier to just use a short-hand for whatever quirk or behavioral tic we think applies. We don't realize the repercussions of doing so.

19. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

How do you want people to understand themselves when theyre stuck in another world of superficial go go go bullshit. Give over.. you may feel insulted because you share or have this condition, and I can understand the frustration and interpersonal levels of feeling insulted because you're defining yourself and other people are jumpingon that definition with "crap" that you feel doesn't justify the definition. It's part of a process. Work with what you know, trust the "terms and knowledge" that is spread by society and the people around you, see if you relate and "define" yourself and your feelings in relation to other people. Yeah.. it's a bugger when people go looking for problems and take a simple moment and project it over a vast period of time throughout their life and make themselves believe they have said condition. But on the flip side, there are people who work like that. Personally I think the issue is people who don't know who THEY are, but know how to function and survive around the stimulation of societ and people and things in their lives. So they resort at times to using common terms to "balance" how they feel at times.

Your piss off isn't always so simple, and .. sometimes it is. Either way, if you're talking about it as in "ive got this and Ive got that" you're in for a helluva ride sometimes. Fuck people who abuse medical terms that are used to help give people stability. But don't fuck off everyone who mis-uses these terms, especially when they're talking about themselves. It's either a gimmic, or a prelude to them narrowing in on something that's bothering them. Be it "bipolar disorder" or a combination of other things that cumulate together and the only way that person can get a grasp over it is to jump onto the most common term that they are aware of that is accepted.

split split split... i hate bitching, better to go with the people whom are honest but just make mistakes. Dealing with the abnoxious, malicious aspect of when people abuse terms and real problems.. that's nasty shit. Just my opinon, sorry if I sounded brash or insulting.. working on it. sorta. Really don't care to work on it though.. oh dear bouncing out of this thread.

20. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Bipolar disorder presents in many forms; it is not a question of labeling or forming an identity based around a diagnosis, it's a question of finding strategies to cope with an illness. The difference between people who have bipolar disorder and people who just apply the label is that one responds to targeted treatment and the other responds to a change in their environment, some kind of self-enlightenment, or the placebo effect. I wish some people, particularly on a suicide forum, could understand the distinction between mental illness and following a trend by labeling one's self bipolar. I am not speakingof the people who try different labels to understand deep inside themselves why they suffer for reasons outside their control. I am talking about the ones who try on diagnoses like a pair of shoes they saw on paris hilton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.