Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by A loser, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A loser

A loser Well-Known Member

I have bipolar, a.k.a. manic depression, which, for those of you who don't know, is a condition charecterised by extreme mood swings (from ecstatic highs to crushing lows and anything in between). To quote the visionary philosopher 'Geddy Lee': "One day I feel I'm on top of the world
    And the next it's falling in on me".

I'm sure many other people who post here have the same condition; I would be very interested to know about your experiences with it, if you are willing to share them.

The vast majority of people I talk to in everyday life are either ill-iformed or have little or no knowledge about bipolar. I think this is something which should change: Society fears what it doesn't know. Obviously, I can only speak from my own experiences, but I would be more than happy to answer any questions people have about what it's like to be bipolar.

Thank you for reading.
  2. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

3. I believe I have bipolar disorder. It has not been diagnosed, but I seem to have all the symptoms.

It's very tough to deal with. When things are going well, I feel awesome. But if something happens - it is just crushing. It's hard for me to point to any specific examples... I can go weeks feeling just great, only to know that feeling will fade away.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  4. A loser

Thanks Sapphire. I have seen it already and it was very useful. Many notable people have had bipolar: Vincent Van Gogh, Ludvig Boltzmann, Kurt Cobain, Florence Nightingale, Edward Munch, 'Jaco' Pastorius, Edgar Allan Poe, Emil Post, Kurt Vonnegut, Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Ludwig van Beethoven, Isaac Newton just to name a few (off the top of my head).

What part of Holland do you live in by the way? I used to live in Utrecht.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've got the oh-so-pleasant subtype of rapid cycling bipolar I. Right now I'm in a depression - on the plus side, I know it'll end within a few weeks. On the minus side, I know a mania (or if I'm lucky, hypomania) is coming within a short time after that to start the cycle over.

I've got to say, I love euphoric hypomanias. Euphoric manias aren't so bad either as long as I don't do anything -too- stupid. Unfortunately, generally I go dysphoric (BUT I was taking Zoloft for most of the time since the clear [hypo]manias started, which tends to cause dysphoric manias - I've stopped now so these might stop.) Of course, manic phases lead to depressed phases, so despite the fact that I like them I'd prefer not to have them.

Depressions just suck. I'm sober for the first time in days; alcohol is my means of coping with them.

Overall it's wildly unstable, and I think worse than the usual, slow-cycling variety. I'm trying to go back to university in the fall, but if a depression or dysphoric mania were to hit during an exam week? I don't want to think about it.
  6. Sapphire

Utrecht is cool. I like the vibe I get in Utrecht. I live in a different area, though. But obviously, I'm hesitant to say where exactly since this is the internet. I hope you don't mind. :)

I didn't know Kurt Cobain was bipolar. That's interesting.
  7. A loser

Yeah, that's cool.

I'm not a big fan of Nirvan, but Kurt Cobain had a very interesting and difficult life and inspired a great number of people in his short life.
  8. Sapphire

Yeah, he definately made impact with his music. He suffered immensely, though. Which is a shame. I wonder if he could have been helped in ways so that his life was more bearable.
  9. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

I don't believe it exists, and I do believe emotions can be influenced heavily by thoughts and beliefs... thus thinking you are depressed and/or bipolar can lead to increased symptoms of "bipolar disorder"... I have given this a lot of thought and this is what I have grown to believe after looking at my own "depression" and whilst being in a relationship with somebody diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. I only started feeling more depressed after thinking "hmmm Im sad always am I depressed?" my partner only ever seems to be manic when she has been talking or thinking about her bi-polar disorder. I have no idea why I am typing this here and Im going to appear to be ignorant, but maybe people should try this. Believe that you do not have bi-polar disorder, check you have a roof over your head and have food to eat and understand you have these things, then see how you feel after a while...
  10. A loser

Frankly, I think you do sound very ignorant and I find what you have typed rather insulting. Their is plenty of scientific evidence that bipolar (and depression for that matter) do exist and bipolar and depression are widely accepted to exist by the medical community. Can you show me scientific evidence to back-up your claims or are they just based on your own views and limited experience?

You are entittled to your opinion, but I totally disagree with you. I had symptoms of bipolar long before I was diagnosed with bipolar (or even knew what it was). Many poeple have had bipolar throughout history and most importantly their is scientific evidence to support bipolar being a real illness. Making statements like you have is not only ignorant, but also dangerous. Unless you can show me some genuine scientific evidence behind your views, I will ask you to refrain from talking rubbish. People like you are a big part of the problem.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

So then you're saying all the grief and pain and problems I've been suffering arent real too? I too was diagnosed Bipolar much much later than the symptoms appeared. I had no idea such a mental health illness existed. But trust me it does. It's so real that it takes over my life!!!!

I really wish you would of had an idea before you posted such an ill informed post. It really hurt me to read such uneducated material. That, to yet another person, I'm unworthy of the help I need because what... "it's all in my head?" I have heard that now once too many times. That is exactly why so many people suffer in silence. Too many are uneducated about mental health issues and the stigma that goes along with them. So those that are suffering "suck it up" to save themselves from the same "ideas" you have.

Well can I suggest you try to live as a bipolar person and see how you feel after a while. Bet you cant. And there it is again. People who dont understand and wont understand. I am bipolar, an illness I never wanted, and too tired to try and fight anymore. Both the illness and the ignorance about it and me. I'm done. No more.
  12. arteb

arteb Member

I have bipolar. I hate it. It destroys everything. It is hell. It is exhausting. It makes me even more lonely, if that's possible. It's horrible to feel you don't even know who you are. It's like something takes hold of you and controls you and uses you. I've been thinking about suicide for years. I self harm, etcetera. Sometimes I can't even think. I've been living with the symptoms for many, many years, maybe my whole life, but I think it began properly like three years ago.
  13. A loser

Cavemen like him really p-ss me off. Like you say it's hard enough trying to cope with your problems and it's far worse when you have idiots like Ed talking crap. You don't tell a man with no legs to "walk it off, it's all psychological." or a blind person "Just think you can see and you will!", just because you can't 'see' an ilness doesn't mean it does not exist.

Don't let a few morons get you down (I haven't). If he wants to disagree with overwhelming scientific evidence and virtually the entire medical community that's his choice. If people are stupid enough to form an ignorant 'opinion' it's their problem, just take comfort knowing that an educated person will know mental health issues are legitimate problems.
  14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Bah, don't get worked up over it. There are those who believe the earth to be 6000 years old, and there are those who deny that HIV causes AIDS. They don't obey any sort of reason.
  15. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Sorry, I did not mean to upset, I'd share my experiences further, but I will refrain incase I upset more.
  16. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Hey sorry again, I can only read backwards and so just read a few more replies. Please don't call me a 'caveman' that is horribly unfair, and pretty much a direct insult =(
  17. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Well sorry you have to be careful what you write as certain words,statments etc can be extremely offensive to say the least.I won't say what I think of what you wrote enough said ok.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.