Bit of a problem, dont know what to do...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by 2-D, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2-D

    2-D Well-Known Member

    I have recently moved house (and so naturally, had to change GP) - and so as part of the 'welcome' check up, they need to do the blood pressure thing, which means I have to show my arms so they [being my folks and GP] will either see scars of where I have cut, or bandages.

    At the moment - I dont want my parents (mum and step dad to be precise) to know about my SHing at this time, so is there anything I can do (either to ask them to wait outside while I have this check up? Will I be able to do such a thing(I am 18 years of age)? but then how would i deal with the GP? I dont know them and they will start either hissy fitting about this that and t'other - cause i dont think that people will believe for long that I have become a clutz and regularly burn myself with cooking trays

    Sorry for the slight rant/ramble - but im slightly panicy about this :( - I dont look for grief or trouble, and so I proberly have a lot of anger - and so I have taken to cutting to let it out in a way that no one (but me) gets hurt....*sigh*
  2. magz74

    magz74 Well-Known Member

    i to am in a new enviroment and no how u feel.i am yet to go to the gp for help,but i no i need it im just plucking up courage.your parents do not have to go with u to the gp as u r 18 and legally a adult.and the gp is abliged to confidentuality.unless u want help they cannot do nothing.dont worry
  3. 2-D

    2-D Well-Known Member

    *wipes brow* - now i just got to tell my folks what my wishes are (as said, I dont want them finding out atm) - I know that some times GPs and stuff will break confidentiality for somethings, but im not sure if thats just cause the patiant is a child, but thanks for that
  4. Will

    Will Staff Alumni

    Yup, as long as you are 18, you can ask for the doc to respect your privacy...
  5. justgettinby

    justgettinby Well-Known Member

    Yea, I've gone through all that too. Just make sure that you fill out all the privacy forms correctly!
  6. jane doe

    jane doe Well-Known Member

    the same happened to me, i´m 19, i´ve been si since 14. when i turned 18 i went to seek for help and they said my parents must know because its the gp responsability if you kill yourself by or not by accident. i steel waiting to turn 21 when it will be my own responsability.
  7. Petal

    Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

    you are 18, so i presume you dont 'have to' go for this appt. but dont you think you should maybe get help about the cutting? :hug:
  8. 2-D

    2-D Well-Known Member

    Well, if I dont go, from what I can make out from the letter, I will be taken off the practices client/patiant list - so going would be in my interests incase my cutting gets too deep (which has not happened as what I use to cut with has not been able to draw blood), but yeah - ive not been SH long, but atm its the only way I can unleash my anger with out 'exploding' at my friend or anyone else (regardless that they deserve it or not) [sounds stupid i know] as I dont like seeking confrentation or trouble/grief of any sort - :hug:
  9. danni

    danni Chat Buddy

    :hug: i agree with lynn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.